How to make PPC Emulator work with ActiveSync without 2 serial ports on computer?

John Lee

Hi,

Could you please help me on how to make the PPC emulator work with
ActiveSync? I would not want to spend $300 more to buy a PPC to be able to
develop some small app for PPC.

Thanks very much!

John

Graham McKechnie

John,

Its a must to have a real device to test on, after all an emulator is just
an emulator. Also some development work can't be done on an emulator, so you
really should spend some bucks if you want to test your app properly.

However there was a new post yesterday about Emulators and active sync -
look for power toys.

Graham

John Lee

Thanks Casey,

It works not very reliable on my desktop, most of the time got error like
"Failed to start ActiveSync"
when it gets connected, then I could not deploy the application. Any ideas
why?

Thanks!

John

jose baldner [Msft]

Hi John,

Could you check that ActiveSync is version 3.7 and the USB connections
are disabled on it?

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "John Lee" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: How to make PPC Emulator work with ActiveSync without 2
serial ports on computer?
| Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:29:16 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Thanks Casey,
|
| It works not very reliable on my desktop, most of the time got error like
| "Failed to start ActiveSync"
| when it gets connected, then I could not deploy the application. Any ideas
| why?
|
| Thanks!
|
| John
|
| | > check out the 1st powerToy in the list.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-
ab28-6a2b006edfe9&displaylang=en
| > casey

| > > Could you please help me on how to make the PPC emulator work with
| > > ActiveSync? I would not want to spend $300 more to buy a PPC to be
able
| > > develop some small app for PPC.
| > >
| > > Thanks very much!
| > >
| > > John

John Lee

Hi, Jose,

Yes, it is ActiveSync 3.7 and USB connections are disabled.

I found out that it works on the dell 2.4GHZ machine at my work desktop but
with the Dual Pentium II 450 machine, it seems have a lots of problem - when
I try to use "Connect Emulator with ActiveSync" - it reports failed to
launch emulator while the emulator is still loading ... is there a way to
adjust the timeout or some sort of settings to wait for a longer period of
time before reporting error?

If by luck, I would see the activeSync turns in green and reported connected
but the PPC Emulator still report "connecting" - then I would get "Critical
communications services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile
device, and then connect again"

Another question, what's difference between PPC 2003 Emulator and WWE PPC
2003 - SDK Emulator?

Thanks!

John

jose baldner said:
Hi John,

Could you check that ActiveSync is version 3.7 and the USB connections
are disabled on it?

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "John Lee" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: How to make PPC Emulator work with ActiveSync without 2
serial ports on computer?
| Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:29:16 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Thanks Casey,
|
| It works not very reliable on my desktop, most of the time got error like
| "Failed to start ActiveSync"
| when it gets connected, then I could not deploy the application. Any ideas
| why?
|
| Thanks!
|
| John
|
| | > check out the 1st powerToy in the list.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-
ab28-6a2b006edfe9&displaylang=en
| > casey

| > > Could you please help me on how to make the PPC emulator work with
| > > ActiveSync? I would not want to spend $300 more to buy a PPC to be
able
| > > develop some small app for PPC.
| > >
| > > Thanks very much!
| > >
| > > John

jose baldner [Msft]

Hi John,
Pentiun II is below the bar of supported machines for VS 2003.
Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "John Lee" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: How to make PPC Emulator work with ActiveSync without 2
serial ports on computer?
| Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:25:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi, Jose,
|
| Yes, it is ActiveSync 3.7 and USB connections are disabled.
|
| I found out that it works on the dell 2.4GHZ machine at my work desktop
but
| with the Dual Pentium II 450 machine, it seems have a lots of problem -
when
| I try to use "Connect Emulator with ActiveSync" - it reports failed to
| launch emulator while the emulator is still loading ... is there a way to
| adjust the timeout or some sort of settings to wait for a longer period of
| time before reporting error?
|
| If by luck, I would see the activeSync turns in green and reported
connected
| but the PPC Emulator still report "connecting" - then I would get
"Critical
| communications services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile
| device, and then connect again"
|
| Another question, what's difference between PPC 2003 Emulator and WWE PPC
| 2003 - SDK Emulator?
|
| Thanks!
|
| John
|
| | > Hi John,
| >
| > Could you check that ActiveSync is version 3.7 and the USB
| connections
| > are disabled on it?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Jose Baldner [MS]

| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "John Lee" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: How to make PPC Emulator work with ActiveSync without 2
| > serial ports on computer?
| > | Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:29:16 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Thanks Casey,
| > |
| > | It works not very reliable on my desktop, most of the time got error
| like
| > | "Failed to start ActiveSync"
| > | when it gets connected, then I could not deploy the application. Any
| ideas
| > | why?
| > |
| > | Thanks!