How to make ASP.NET 2.0 available in IIS server

I want to start to use ASP.NET 2.0 in production IIS server. I installed
Framework 2.0, but ASP.NET tab of web property page of IIS still does not
have a option to choose ASP.NET 2.0. What else I need to install to be able
to use ASP.NET 2.0. Since it’s production server I don’t want to install
Visual Studio 2005.
Thanks,
Charts

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

From you description, I understand that after you installed the .NET
framework 2.0, the ASP.NET 2.0 is not enabled for your IIS.

If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.
Based on my research, we may try to run the Aspnet_regiis.exe to
reconfigure the script map for an ASP.NET application.

Here is a link for your reference.

Configuring an ASP.NET Application for an ASP.NET Version
l/cpconconfiguringaspnetapplicationforaspnetversion.asp

Please try this and let me know the result.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hi Peter,
You information is very helpful. I tried Aspnet_regiis.exe -s
W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1
Where SampleApp1 is a virtual directory under the default web site. So I
successfully registered ASP.NET 2.0 for Sampleapp1 in my local machine.
However I encountered the problem with our http server. Our server has multi
sites. One of site is called intranet. I also have Sampleapp1 virtual
directory under the intranet. However if I use “Aspnet_regiis.exe -s
W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1â€, it tells me invalid directory. I type
“Aspnet_regiis.exe -s W3SVC/1/intranet/SampleApp1â€, I still got the same
error. How do I type the right path to register that application for ASP.NET
2.0? Thanks,
Charts

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

HI Charts,

As for the ASPNET tab in IIS, since you can see it in your IIS website, I
think your asp.net has been installed already. Also, can you configure the
ASP.NET version in the aspnet tab for your default website(if choosing the
ASPNET tab)? Basically, ASP.NET (tab)'s setting can only be configured if
this IIS virtual dir is an application virtual directory. You can check
this in the "Home directory" or "Virtual Directory" tab, see the
"Application Name:" textbox to see whether the application is an
application, if not, it is a normal virtual directory and we can not
configure ASP.NET setting for it .... And we can click the "create"
button at right side to create a new application for this virtual dir,
after that , reopen this virtual dir's property page, and you will be able
to configure asp.net setting in its ASPNET tab.....

In addition, for IIS site (the root dir), it should has been created as an
application by default. e.g the default website's root is an application
called "Default Application"....

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcnRz?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: How to make ASP.NET 2.0 available in IIS server
| Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:33:05 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Hi Peter,
| You information is very helpful. I tried Aspnet_regiis.exe -s
| W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1
| Where SampleApp1 is a virtual directory under the default web site. So I
| successfully registered ASP.NET 2.0 for Sampleapp1 in my local machine.
| However I encountered the problem with our http server. Our server has
multi
| sites. One of site is called intranet. I also have Sampleapp1 virtual
| directory under the intranet. However if I use “Aspnet_regiis.exe -s
| W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1� it tells me invalid directory. I type
| “Aspnet_regiis.exe -s W3SVC/1/intranet/SampleApp1� I still got the
same
| error. How do I type the right path to register that application for
ASP.NET
| 2.0? Thanks,
| Charts
|

| ""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Dear Customer,
| >
| > From you description, I understand that after you installed the .NET
| > framework 2.0, the ASP.NET 2.0 is not enabled for your IIS.
| >
| > If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.
| > Based on my research, we may try to run the Aspnet_regiis.exe to
| > reconfigure the script map for an ASP.NET application.
| >
| > Here is a link for your reference.
| >
| > Configuring an ASP.NET Application for an ASP.NET Version

| > l/cpconconfiguringaspnetapplicationforaspnetversion.asp
| >
| > Please try this and let me know the result.
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Peter Huang
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.

Steven,
It's very helpful. Thanks so much. Charts

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| “Aspnet_regiis.exe -s W3SVC/1/intranet/SampleApp1� I still got the
same
| error. How do I type the right path to register that application for
ASP.NET
| 2.0? Thanks,
| Charts
|

| ""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Dear Customer,
| >
| > From you description, I understand that after you installed the .NET
| > framework 2.0, the ASP.NET 2.0 is not enabled for your IIS.
| >
| > If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.
| > Based on my research, we may try to run the Aspnet_regiis.exe to
| > reconfigure the script map for an ASP.NET application.
| >
| > Here is a link for your reference.
| >
| > Configuring an ASP.NET Application for an ASP.NET Version

| > l/cpconconfiguringaspnetapplicationforaspnetversion.asp
| >
| > Please try this and let me know the result.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Charts,

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcnRz?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: How to make ASP.NET 2.0 available in IIS server
| Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:33:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Steven,
| It's very helpful. Thanks so much. Charts
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > HI Charts,
| >
| > As for the ASPNET tab in IIS, since you can see it in your IIS website,
| > think your asp.net has been installed already. Also, can you configure
the
| > ASP.NET version in the aspnet tab for your default website(if choosing
the
| > ASPNET tab)? Basically, ASP.NET (tab)'s setting can only be
configured if
| > this IIS virtual dir is an application virtual directory. You can
check
| > this in the "Home directory" or "Virtual Directory" tab, see the
| > "Application Name:" textbox to see whether the application is an
| > application, if not, it is a normal virtual directory and we can not
| > configure ASP.NET setting for it .... And we can click the
"create"
| > button at right side to create a new application for this virtual dir,
| > after that , reopen this virtual dir's property page, and you will be
able
| > to configure asp.net setting in its ASPNET tab.....
| >
| > In addition, for IIS site (the root dir), it should has been created as
an
| > application by default. e.g the default website's root is an
application
| > called "Default Application"....
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcnRz?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: How to make ASP.NET 2.0 available in IIS server
| > | Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:33:05 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
| > |
| > | Hi Peter,
| > | You information is very helpful. I tried Aspnet_regiis.exe -s
| > | W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1
| > | Where SampleApp1 is a virtual directory under the default web site.
So I
| > | successfully registered ASP.NET 2.0 for Sampleapp1 in my local
machine.
| > | However I encountered the problem with our http server. Our server
has
| > multi
| > | sites. One of site is called intranet. I also have Sampleapp1 virtual
| > | directory under the intranet. However if I use “
Aspnet_regiis.exe -s
| > | W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1â� it tells me invalid directory. I type
| > | “Aspnet_regiis.exe -s W3SVC/1/intranet/SampleApp1â� I still
got the
| > same
| > | error. How do I type the right path to register that application for
| > ASP.NET
| > | 2.0? Thanks,
| > | Charts
| > |