How to Lock a Workstation

Lisa

I need to know if there is a way a workstation can
be "locked" after a set number of minutes - kind of like a
screen saver option. Thanks for any help!

Lisa

Nicholas

To protect your files by using a screen saver password:

1. Open Display in Control Panel.
2. On the Screen Saver tab under Screen saver, click a screen saver.
3. Select the On resume, password protect check box.

Note: If Fast User Switching is turned on, select the On resume,
display Welcome screen check box.

--
Nicholas

"Lisa" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I need to know if there is a way a workstation can
| be "locked" after a set number of minutes - kind of like a
| screen saver option. Thanks for any help!
|
| Lisa

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

There at least 4 ways to lock a WinXP workstation:

1) Use the Windows Key + L hotkey.

2) You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then <ENTER>, once you've turned
off the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. (This is the default
in a domain environment, as FUS is contrary to the domain security
paradigm.)

3) You can create a desktop shortcut with
"%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation" in the
target field. (It is case-sensitive, BTW.) You can then assign a
keyboard shortcut.

4) Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time
without touching the mouse or keyboard.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: