how to install SNMP

George

Is it possible to install SNMP with preconfigured strings to workstations
using some kind of script (logon script) or some other deployment method?
This is for Win2k workstations and mixed nt 4.0 and 2000 on nt 4.0 domain.

Best regards, George

David H. Lipman

Preconfigured strings ?

Do you mean the SNMP community names ?

It is possible to set the SNMP community strings via a login script, as for installing SNMP
on WinNT, not sure.

Check out: microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting
Dave

| Is it possible to install SNMP with preconfigured strings to workstations
| using some kind of script (logon script) or some other deployment method?
| This is for Win2k workstations and mixed nt 4.0 and 2000 on nt 4.0 domain.
|
| Best regards, George

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear George,

Thank you for your post. I understand that you want to install the SNMP
Service and customize the "Community name" setting with a script. If I have
misunderstood you, please let me know.

I have performed research and I think that we will be able to fulfill these
requirements by using a particular tool and by editing the registry.

Section 1: Install "SNMP Service":
=============================

We can use the sysocmgr.exe tool to add/remove Windows 2000 Components
automatically. This tool can be found in Windows 2000 CD's
Support\Tools\Deploy.CAB file. The unattend.doc in the same cabinet file
contains the optional switches.

Here is a sample script:

******* START *******
;SetupMgrTag
[NetOptionalComponents]
SNMP=1
[SNMP]
Any_Host=YES
******* END *******

You can save it as C:\Unattend.txt and use a command like the one below:

Sysocmgr.exe /i:%WINDIR%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\unattend.txt

For more information, please refer to the following KB article:

222444.KB.EN-US How to Add or Remove Windows Components with Sysocmgr.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;222444

Note: By the way, the systems must have access to the Windows 2000
installation files. By default, they seek for the files according to a
registry key. If necessary, you can adjust the installation location to a
suitable one (for example, a certain network share).

323003.KB.EN-US HOW TO: Change the Location of the Installation Files in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;323003

Section 2: Customize the "Community name":
=================================

Community names are saved subkeys under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\TrapCon
figuration

We can add or adjust Community names by manually editing the registry.

Section 3: Summary:
=================================

Based on the above analysis, we can create a batch file to run the
following commands:

The Sysocmgr.exe command
regedit /s CommunityName.reg

Note: To create the CommunityName.reg, you can configure a client and
export the TrapConfiguration key from its registry.

Also, if you want to adjust the installation location and perform other
operations (for example, coping files from shares and deleting them after
running these commands), please add commands as necessary.

I hope the above information helps. Thanks and have a great day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "George" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: how to install SNMP
|Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:43:04 -0500
|Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general,mi
crosoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment

|Community names. Huh, tough day for me today.
|
|George
|

||> Yes, I meant community strings.

|> > Do you mean the SNMP community names ?
|> >
|> > It is possible to set the SNMP community strings via a login script, as
|> for installing SNMP
|> > on WinNT, not sure.
|> >
|> > Check out: microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting
|> > Dave

|> workstations
|> method?
|> domain.
|> > |
|> > |
|> > |

Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
heres a batch file i wrote

note.. SourcePath refers to c:\ assuming you've copied the i386 directory from the CD to c:\i386
kudos to Joe Wu and others who gave me some tips.

REM SNMP install script - pARODY 02-11-05
REM parody [@] gutterbunny.com

(
echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SNMP\Parameters\RFC1156Agent]
echo "sysContact"="Your Name"
echo "sysLocation"="Department or Location"
echo "sysServices"=dword:0000004d

echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ValidCommunities]
echo "public"=dword:00000004

echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
echo "SourcePath"="C:\"
) > c:\setup.reg

regedit /s /q c:\setup.reg

(
echo ;SetupMgrTag
echo [NetOptionalComponents]
echo SNMP=1
echo [SNMP]
echo Any_Host=YES
) > c:\snmp.txt

sysocmgr /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\snmp.txt