how to have a centralised Address Book?

G

I have around 80 users in my company. Everybody is using Outlook 2000. Workstations' OS varies - Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP

I would like to have a centralised Address Book (which contains the email address of all users within the company) sharable among the users

I tried to create a Personal Address Book (.PAB) on a server (Win2K domain controller) and configure my PC to have Personal Address Book points to that PAB file. Actually it works. But the problem is users can add / change / delete contacts in the PAB. I don't want this to happen. Only allow administrators from in the IT dept. to do that. I tried to make the PAB file read-only but then the PAB can't be opened from Outlook

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

W

William Tatum[MSFT]

Neither the Windows Address Book or the Personal Address Book were designed for this type of
functionality. An Exchange Server would easily permit this type of contact integration with it's Global
Address List functionality.

If an Exchange Server is outside your current budget, you may want to go to www.slipstick.com,
www.outlookexchange.com or any other 3rd party site to see if they have any solutions thay may help
you.

--------------------
Subject: how to have a centralised Address Book?
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:51:06 -0800

I have around 80 users in my company. Everybody is using Outlook 2000. Workstations' OS varies -
Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP

I would like to have a centralised Address Book (which contains the email address of all users within the
company) sharable among the users

I tried to create a Personal Address Book (.PAB) on a server (Win2K domain controller) and configure my
PC to have Personal Address Book points to that PAB file. Actually it works. But the problem is users can
add / change / delete contacts in the PAB. I don't want this to happen. Only allow administrators from in
the IT dept. to do that. I tried to make the PAB file read-only but then the PAB can't be opened from
Outlook

Any help appreciated. Thank you.
William R. Tatum III - MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Tecnnical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications

W

Will-its-me

If you can not offord an Exchange server, a simple way to
solve this would be to create an Access DB on a network
share and allow everyone to access to it. You would not
have to provide write access to anyone who does not need
to update. Then if someone has it open and another person
wants to see the info; they can open a read only version
to get the info. This solution would not allow for group
distribution but you can get creative to work around this
issue. Good luck

-----Original Message-----
Neither the Windows Address Book or the Personal Address
Book were designed for this type of
functionality. An Exchange Server would easily permit
this type of contact integration with it's Global
Address List functionality.

If an Exchange Server is outside your current budget, you
may want to go to www.slipstick.com,
www.outlookexchange.com or any other 3rd party site to
see if they have any solutions thay may help
you.

--------------------
Outlook 2000. Workstations' OS varies -
Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP.

I would like to have a centralised Address Book (which
contains the email address of all users within the
company) sharable among the users.

I tried to create a Personal Address Book (.PAB) on a
server (Win2K domain controller) and configure my
PC to have Personal Address Book points to that PAB file.
Actually it works. But the problem is users can
add / change / delete contacts in the PAB. I don't want
this to happen. Only allow administrators from in
the IT dept. to do that. I tried to make the PAB file
read-only but then the PAB can't be opened from

G

Hi. Putting big money just to have an address book shared among the users?? hmm... My bosses will definitely say 'NO'
I'll go thru the website suggested by William Tatum (thanks). Exchange Server is good. Will propose to my bosses to buy it and host emails ourselves
Any other suggestions

And Will-its-me, if i create an Access DB, how do i put it in Outlook so the users can click the 'To' button and have the list of addresses show up when composing a new email? I guess this can't be done because users' workstation don't have MS Access installed, not even in the servers

Any other suggestions is very much appreciated

Thanks William Tatum and Will-its-me.

Ask a Question