How to get website to automatically fit in viewers browser

G

Hello - I'm very new to FrontPage, I’m using FrontPage2000. I designed a website with another program called Web Easy then imported it into FrontPage and posted it on the internet. Everything went very smoothly with the importing into FrontPage however the only issue is the website does not automatically adjust and fit in the viewers browser's screen. If the screen resolution is set to 1024x768 pixels then the website fits perfectly. However if someone's computer is set to 800x600 then they have to scroll over to see the entire website. The website is made up of gifs, jpg and text boxes that were done in Paint Shop

The question I have is - is there a setting or some selection I can make in FrontPage that would automatically change my website to fit into everyone's browsers so they didn't have to scroll over no matter what their screen resolution is set to

Thank you for your hel

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You would have to re-design the site using tables set 100% width to have your page adjust to the
user's browser window and no image can be wider that smallest screen size that you want to support.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

susan said:
Hello - I'm very new to FrontPage, I'm using FrontPage2000. I designed a website with another
program called Web Easy then imported it into FrontPage and posted it on the internet. Everything
went very smoothly with the importing into FrontPage however the only issue is the website does not
automatically adjust and fit in the viewers browser's screen. If the screen resolution is set to
1024x768 pixels then the website fits perfectly. However if someone's computer is set to 800x600
then they have to scroll over to see the entire website. The website is made up of gifs, jpg and
text boxes that were done in Paint Shop.
The question I have is - is there a setting or some selection I can make in FrontPage that would
automatically change my website to fit into everyone's browsers so they didn't have to scroll over
no matter what their screen resolution is set to?

B

Birk Binnard

This is a common problem. There is no easy way to design your site to fit
(exactly) all screen resolutions. What most people do is put an invisible
one cell table on the page, size the table for their target resolution, and
then put all the text for the page inside the table.

For 800x600 I find a table width of 780 pixels is pretty good. That forces
the page to be that wide on all monitors.

G

how would i go about redesigning it using tables - would i have to recreate all the images? Sorry for the basic question, but i'm very new to FrontPage.

thank

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

No you don't have to recreate all the images.

Insert a table with however many columns you want...insert it below your existing layout..then drag and drop your images into the table's cells...text too.

This is a *very* simple explanation of what you need to do - tables can get complicated. Try doing it to one page, then post the URL so we can help you better.

| how would i go about redesigning it using tables - would i have to recreate all the images? Sorry for the basic question, but i'm very new to FrontPage.
|
| thanks
|

G

Hi Susan, I have the exact same problem, as well as others relating to my web site. I will be watching your replies for a solution.

B

Bob

Hi Susan, I have the exact same problem, as well as others relating to my web site.
I will be watching your replies for a solution.

There is no solution. Here are your choices:

1. Use tables with dynamic sizing (%'s). This means you will have
little idea what the actual page will look like in the user's browser.
The page will generally display all the content but appearance will
vary greatly.

2. Use tables with fixed pixel sizing. The tables will truncate when
the user's browser is smaller than the fixed table size. User will
have to scroll horizontally. Stable appearance...but you have to pick
a smaller width (620 or 770 pixels roughly) which means your pages
look a little odd in larger browsers.

3. Use a technique like Microsoft. The top (blue part) of their page
is in a dynamic, 100% size table which fills the browser. The lower
table with all the text in it is a fixed width and does not resize.
Sot of the best of options 1 & 2 above, with some of the disadvantages
reduced but not eliminated.

4. Learn about DOM programming and write dynamic table with maximum
limits. Trust me, you really don't want to do this. Best option, only
works in later versions of MSIE and Mozilla/Netscape.

Ask a Question