How to generate a password in all the records of the field of a table?

Telesphore

How to generate a password in all the records of the field of a table?

Example: tblStudent with the fields [LastName], [First name], [Street], etc.

Is it possible to generate it starting from the last name of the user?

Thank you in advance

P.S. Sorry

Alex White MCDBA MCSE

Sounds like you need an update Query

'Update tblStudent Set Password = LastName'

this will set the password to the value in the LastName field.

Rick B

No idea what you are asking. What is a 'password'? What are the rules for
it? How long can it be? What characters are valid? Will it just be random
numbers and letters?

Secondly, why are you doing this? If you wnat to use these passwords for
your Assecc application, then you don't create a table for them, you use the
built-in user-level security that comes with access. You create the
userids, passwords, and the groups to which they belong in the Tools menu.
Implementing User-level Security (ULS) is fairly complex, and I would
recommend you read, and reread the security FAQ before doing it. I'd also
recommend you make AT LEAST one backup of your database before you start.

Post back if these passwords ARE NOT for Access and you wish to share with
us how you want them defined.

Security FAQ

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=207793

The Security Whitepaper is also worth reading to help you understand.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=148555

Joan Wild:

www.jmwild.com/AccessSecurity.htm

Lynn Trapp

http://www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/Security.htm

Telesphore

We need to give a password to each student, so he could consult his school
marks through our web site.

Is it possible to generate the password with MS-Access 2000 in a field
[Password] in the tblStudent?

The password could be 2 numbers and 2 letters at random.

Thank you again

--
Rick B ....
"Telesphore" ... wrote in message
How to generate a password in all the records of the field of a table?

Example: tblStudent with the fields [LastName], [First name], [Street], etc.

Is it possible to generate it starting from the last name of the user?

Rick B

I would recommned building an update query to update the table with the
password you want to create. You will have to build a furmula to let Access
create a random string and use that formula in the "update to:" field of
your update query.

I'd recommend you do a search for previous posts and search for "random".
You should be able to find some posts that will help you create the entry.

--
Rick B