how to find these groups if your ISP doesn't carry all of them

Leythos

For those of you that have ISP's that don't carry all of the MS Usenet
groups, the following information might help:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

Using The Microsoft Public Server To Access Microsoft Public Newsgroups

Copyright © 1999, Leonard E. Meads
All rights reserved.

Introduction

A user with a question about Microsoft ("MS") products can often find
help in the Microsoft public newsgroups ("NGs"). To increase the chances
of getting a speedy, accurate answer to a question in the MS public NGs,
I always recommend connecting directly to the MS public server rather
than via a Usenet server.

Before explaining why this is desirable, let's first (a) define "MS
public server" and "Usenet server" for use here, (b) get some background
on the MS public newsgroups, and (c) briefly discuss news message
propagation.

MS Public Server and Usenet Server

"MS public server" refers to the free news server provided by MS Online
Support to host the MS public NGs, and that is commonly known by the
alias msnews.microsoft.com. This server is actually a "farm" consisting
(in late July 1999) of 4 computers whose IP addresses are 207.46.180.16,
207.46.180.23, 207.46.180.24, and 207.46.180.25. The MS public server is
a specialized, "corporate vanity" server that is not part of Usenet.

"Usenet server" refers to any news server or service, other than the MS
public server, that provides access to Usenet NGs and the MS public NGs.
As used here, it includes web-based news services such as Deja.com.

PA Bear

If my ISP doesn't carry MS newsgroups, how would I see this message, other
than via the web-interface?

Leythos

If my ISP doesn't carry MS newsgroups, how would I see this message, other
than via the web-interface?

The information I posted lets you use a Usenet reader to connect
directly to the Microsoft Usenet servers, you bypass your own ISP's
Usenet servers and use the public MS ones.

If you read what was posted it tells you to set your Usenet server as
msnews.microsoft.com in your Usenet client.

David Candy

They are NNTP servers. They are not usenet. They carry nothing from usenet.

"David Candy" <.> said:
They are NNTP servers. They are not usenet. They carry nothing from usenet.

Yes they do - when I post with my local Usenet server it's propagated to
the MS NNTP Service...... You figure it out.

David Candy

Are you stupid. Your first post says

""MS public server" refers to the free news server provided by MS Online
Support to host the MS public NGs ..." and ""Usenet server" refers to any news server or service, other than the MS public server".

You get it right then get it wrong.

Also msnews is not an alias. If you look up the domain name record you'll find the alias is news.microsoft.com. Msnews.microsoft.com is it's domain name.

"David Candy" <.> said:
Are you stupid. Your first post says

""MS public server" refers to the free news server provided by MS Online
Support to host the MS public NGs ..." and ""Usenet server" refers to anynews server or service, other than the MS public server".

You get it right then get it wrong.

Also msnews is not an alias. If you look up the domain name record you'llfind the alias is news.microsoft.com. Msnews.microsoft.com is it's domain name.

As for the content of the post - I just posted what was in the same link
I provided, so I didn't get it right or wrong.

And I connect to the service using a Usenet client to their Usenet
service running NNTP.

andy smart

Leythos said:
Yes they do - when I post with my local Usenet server it's propagated to
the MS NNTP Service...... You figure it out.

Does it really matter if people are accessign this information by nntp
or usenet?

David Candy

No. But he gives out opinion as if it's fact. He has either no intellectual honesty or is bereft of knowledge. Plus he is arrogant as his reply to kelly when he talked down to her about issues she understands well (his opinion is different based on old information). Plus he objects to swearing so I thought nitpicking would meet his/her/its approval.

Scientific method people. You should have learnt it in school.

This is merely a skirmish in a war.

David Candy

An example of someone different to the thing in this thread is they recommended a defrag to fix a problem with a program. It won't help.

I am on a mission to train some of these MVPs. Too often "magical" solutions are advised.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message No. But he gives out opinion as if it's fact. He has either no intellectual honesty or is bereft of knowledge. Plus he is arrogant as his reply to kelly when he talked down to her about issues she understands well (his opinion is different based on old information). Plus he objects to swearing so I thought nitpicking would meet his/her/its approval.

Scientific method people. You should have learnt it in school.

This is merely a skirmish in a war.

Leythos

Does it really matter if people are accessign this information by nntp
or usenet?

If you followed the thread - I posted the information because I read a
question in one of 4 groups and could not remember which group by the
time I found the info.

As I said in another thread, each person should use the method that fits
them best.

Leythos

"David Candy" <.> said:
Plus he is arrogant as his reply to kelly when he talked down to her about issues she understands well
(his opinion is different based on old information).

I've not talked "down" to anyone that wasn't rude.
Plus he objects to swearing

I don't have any problem with swearing - in fact, I look at is as a sign
of character - those that make a habit of swearing are immature by
nature, so I just count them in that boat. There are many ways to get a
point across, most don't involve being abusive.

If you took the post about how to locate the Usenet services provided by
MS as my telling people to use them, then you missed the entire point of
the post - as I mentioned, it was a reposting of information from
another article (even an old one), and I only posted it so that people
that didn't WANT to use the web interface and who didn't have ISP's that
carry the groups, could get normal access to them.

Leythos

the answer to the guys question is that he subscribes to an independant
news service, like nuthinbutnews.com, they offer all newsgroups, if
what he actually wants is Usenet. I think the guy is confused between
newsgroups and news servers

Or that he uses a Usenet client that pulls from multiple Usenet servers
to get all the groups he wants.