How to equally weight variables

TB

Hi all,
I have produced a survey for people to provide multiple choice scores
on. Each question relates to one of a possible 8 categories. The
questions are not distributed equally to the 8 categories. I would
like to ensure that each category is weighed equally when calculating
the overall weighted scores to the questions. This will tell me which
category had the overall highest/lowest score. What formula could I
use to weight the categories equally?

Example.
Category Count: Quest. related to Cat. Weighting
Scores Weighted Score
1 3 ? 10 ?
2 2 ? 52 ?
3 5 ? 23 ?
4 4 ? 22 ?
5 3 ? 32 ?
6 3 ? 15 ?
7 2 ? 40 ?
8 2 ? 25 ?

Much appreciated, Trevor

Jim Cone

Divide the total score for each category by the count of questions for that category.
3 questions and 10 points total equals an average score of 10/3 or 3.33.
Weighting doesn't apply unless some categories are more important than others.
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(XL Companion add-in: compares, matches, counts, lists, finds, deletes...)

TB" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

TB

Thanks Jim. I was totally thinking down another path. This should
work for my needs.
Many Thanks,
Trevor