how to disable the driver signing component

Gary

while back ago, there were some posts regarding how to silently
install the unsigned driver during the fba.

I had my unsigned driver built with WXPE target device. Every thing is
working fine until we tried to updated this driver remote. The WXPE
complained about signed driver and unsigned driver mismatch. correct
me if I am wrong.

1. since I build my unsigned driver into the windows XP embedded
image, WXPE will treat this driver signed. this is the reason it is
working fine.

2. when I try to update this driver remote, since the driver is
unsigned, it will conflict with the signed driver (at least WXPE think
because of the reason 1.)

3. How can i update this unsigned driver remote successfully?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Gary

From: Doug Hoeffel ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Hello MS - 1 attachment

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2003-04-11 07:00:33 PST

Where is the "Add New Hardware Wizard" component?

Jon Fincher (MS) said:
(e-mail address removed) (Kesavan) wrote in

If you try to install an unsigned driver, it will fail silently. There
are two ways around this.

First, add the Add New Hardware Wizard component - this will shoot up a
prompt if you try to install an unsigned driver. However, it does have a
significant footprint hit.

The second is to import the attached SLD and add the component to your
configuration. This SLD contains the registry key that needs to be set to
enable the installation of unsigned drivers, and a build order so it's not
whacked by the FBA: Driver Signing component.

BEWARE! Putting an unsigned driver on your system is a prime way to
destabilize it. THat's why MS instituted driver signing in the first
place.

In other words, here's the rope - build a rope bridge or a noose, your
choice.

--
--Jon, MS

rights.
Message 2 in thread
From: Jon Fincher (MS) ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2003-04-16 16:42:10 PST

Where is the "Add New Hardware Wizard" component?

It's living under an assumed name (witness protection program).

However, since I'm a nice guy (who can't read a component name off a
list), that new name is "Add Hardware Control Panel".

--
--Jon, MS

rights.
Message 3 in thread
From: Doug Hoeffel ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2003-04-17 06:35:59 PST

Jon:

OK. I had that component already. I just thought you were talking
about
some not so obvious named component or something.

.... Doug
Jon Fincher (MS) said:
It's living under an assumed name (witness protection program).

However, since I'm a nice guy (who can't read a component name off a
list), that new name is "Add Hardware Control Panel".

--
--Jon, MS

rights.
Message 4 in thread
From: Kesavan ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2003-04-17 22:27:00 PST

let me ask you.how shld we enable the registry key inoredr to
silently install the unsigned driver during the fba.

thanks in advance
kesavan
Message 5 in thread
From: Jon Fincher (MS) ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2003-04-18 14:41:06 PST

(e-mail address removed) (Kesavan) wrote in
let me ask you.how shld we enable the registry key inoredr to
silently install the unsigned driver during the fba.

Not sure I understand the question here - import the SLD I posted a
while
back into your DB, add the component it contains to your
configuration,
and it should set the key for you. If you want to inspect the key,
open
the SLD in CD and look at the contents.