How to disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention)?

Michel Merlin

When restarting my new laptop (Uniwill 223ei0,
Pentium-M760-2.0GHz, WXP Pro) after MU (Microsoft Update),
I got a message window:
|___________________________________________________________

| To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
| program.
|
| Name: Windows Explorer
| Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

| | Close Message |
|___________________________________________________________

| Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage
| from viruses and other security threats.
| What should I do?
|___________________________________________________________

Windows doesn't even tell me which application or component has
tried to launch Windows Explorer!

Clicking "What should I do?" opens "Help and Support Center >
Understanding Data Execution Prevention"

which in turn tells me to open
"Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
Advanced > Performance > Settings
Data Execution Prevention".

Unfortunately in that DEP tab I have only 2 options (with the
relevant radio buttons):

o Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only
o Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I
select:

|___________________________________________

I immediately added "Windows Explorer", which stopped the first
part of the problem. But unfortunately there remains some very
annoying problems, that *may* also come from DEP (due to the
imprecise messages from Windows, I can't be sure), since I
suffer them on my new WXP Pro laptop and no other PC; to make
sure, I would like to turn DEP off completely.

After reading:

- « What Is The Boot.ini File and What Does It Do? »
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/pcbasics/a/boot_ini.htm
- « Se familiariser avec le Service Pack 2 »
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/SP2-FAQ.htm

I went in "System > Properties > Advanced
Startup and Recovery > Settings > System Startup > Edit"

and tried:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows
XP Professionnel" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

with no success. So, thanks to anyone who could tell me:

- How can I turn DEP completely Off?
- How can I MONITOR and LOG it?
- How can I at least *know*, at any given time,
if it is "On" or "Off"?

{Just to avoid some unthought questions: Must I believe my eyes
and conclude MS deliberately removed that possibility from the
end user? Where is now the small "Micro-soft" we have learnt to
know and love, who once built their success by knowing,
respecting, hence *empowering* the end user? Has Microsoft's
success been high enough to make them this memoryless,
self-sufficient and blind, as to remove from the end user a
fundamental control over *HIS* property, his *PERSONAL*
computer, that he generally has chosen, bought, paid, installed,
maintained, by himself, and *despite* the self-called "help"
from IT services and companies?}

Paris, Mon 15 May 2006 16:07:35 +0200

Michel Merlin

Thanks a lot. Your link answered exactly my question:

1) « Table1 DEP boot.ini policy level options:
AlwaysOff = DEP is not enabled for any processes »

2) « Verifying DEP is Disabled
(in "Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
Advanced > Performance > Settings
Data Execution Prevention"),
Verify that the DEP settings are unavailable »

yes both are greyed now. Thanks a lot!

Paris, Mon 15 May 2006 17:45:30 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Message: Sent: Mon 15 May 2006 16:07:35 +0200
Subject: How to disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention)?