How to convert Real Audio .rm files to mp3 for free?

kopn

Hello!
I used dbPowerAmp converter to convert Real Audio .rm files to mp3, but
now it asks to buy a license for mp3. How to convert Real Audio .rm
files to mp3 for free?
Best regards,
Dima
+7 9163876746

Frank Bohan

Free RM to MP3 Converter
http://www.rm-mp3.org/

FWIW I have this program, but when I tried to convert some .rm files it said
DirectX 8.1 OR LATER was needed. I downloaded and installed DX9, although
Belarc shows that I already had this, but I still get the same message when
trying to convert. I eventually used MediaPlayerClassic to play the files
and CDex to record them as MP3s. OS is XP(SP2).

===

Frank Bohan
¶ I love work; it fascinates me; I can sit and watch it for hours.

kopn

Hello!
Windows Media Player does not play mp3 files created in the Free RM to
MP3 Converter. RealPlayer and my portable mp3 player play them with a
background noise. GoldWave converts the files without the noise but it
is not free.
I need to normalize while converting too.
Maximize volume Effect in GoldWave 5.14 did not increase volume in my
files although they are low volume.

q_q_anonymous

Hello!
I used dbPowerAmp converter to convert Real Audio .rm files to mp3, but
now it asks to buy a license for mp3. How to convert Real Audio .rm
files to mp3 for free?
Best regards,
Dima
+7 9163876746

try VideoLAN . I think it does real player files, and streaming

Media player, won't do real player files, but I think has some
streaming option

Media player classic , will do real player files I think, but not
streaming
Quicktime alternative , I haven't tried
VideoLAN , I haven't tested it but looking at it, the features are
there.

For VideoLAN, it's under file..open or file..capture device

Louis

Search for the "streambox vcr suite" (no longer supported but still
hosted at a couple of sites), has a small app in called streamripper
which will convert .rm files to wav or mp3. Nice a simple to use.

kopn

Thanks for the information.
Can the streamripper increase volume during a convertion?
(e-mail address removed)

Frank said:
wrote in message
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[...]

Can the VideoLAN convert a rm file to mp3 with volume normalizing?

Jim

FWIW I have this program, but when I tried to convert some .rm files it said
DirectX 8.1 OR LATER was needed. I downloaded and installed DX9, although
Belarc shows that I already had this, but I still get the same message when
trying to convert...

I am having the same problem here. I did email the author but never
received and answer. Does anyone know why direct x is not recognized?

q_q_anonymous

Thanks for the information!
Can the VideoLAN convert a rm file to mp3 with volume normalizing?

Can't you use some software to do volume normalization afterwards -
once it's in mp3 form?

I have no idea about sound/music. But I did study some statistics, and
I vaguely remember what normalization is. And this sounds like a very
useful function!

I did google and find this

"MP3 Gain - the best volume normalizing software I've found for mass
numbers of MP3 files."

Now maybe I can amend those mp3s where the guy lecturing YELLS from
time to time to excite his audience!!

Since that quote was actually in a list of useful software, here's the
list (not my list. I just added [....] to one or two of the items)

OPENSSH -
[err, great for the ssh server. don't use its ftp server - I found its
ftp server had issues, I couldn't make C:\ the home directory. Try
quick n easy ftp for an ftp server, there's a free one]
Mozilla Firefox 1.5.02 - tried "Bon Echo" but it was too unstable.
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.02 - only occasionally.
Bitdefender v9 - the best anti-virus proggie I've found. Made in
Europe, but don't hold that against it Version 8 is freeware!
DeepBurner - by Astonsoft, it's like bloat-free Nero, excellent softare
for burning data DVDs and CDs.
ClearMem.exe - by FixMyXp.com, it refreshes your page file.
ZeroPoint's Nvidia Drivers - I'm not sure about the stability of these
across time, but they helped out my little lappie.
Google Desktop - surprisingly, this doesn't suck! I love RSS feeds now.
Google Earth - the best trip planning software I've ever used.
Google's Picasa - v2 of this image management software is really slick.
Post-it-Notes - the free version from 3M has become a GPA life saver
for me and coordinating my day.
OpenOffice developer version - getting better all the time. Still dog
slow don't forget to allocate more memory to objects and disable it's
Java stuff.
Abiword and Gnumeric - the latest compatibility improvements for the
GNOME Office apps are impressive!
Adobe Reader - v7.07 is ok. Kind of bloaty though. Thinking of
switching to something else...
AirSnort - I can't get this thing to work!
MP3 Gain - the best volume normalizing software I've found for mass
numbers of MP3 files.
Crap Cleaner - v128, this is such a great little cleaning utility...
even cleans up the add/remove software part of XP if you want it too...
BootVis - I use this after I make major changes to what programs I have
on my computer and how they affect startup times.
[I use bootlogxp by greatis]
FileZilla - v2.2.22 is a great FTP client and server
FreeRamXP Pro - One of the few things I allow on my systray! A gawdsend
for people that don't like restarting their computers.
Gaim - v2 b3, the best keeps getting better
PaintDotNet - v2.61, surprisingly, it doesn't suck! Use it as a
replacement for editing JPEGs and stuff.
TweakUI PowerToy - good way to get at some buried tweaks for XP.
uTorrent - I love this bittorrent program. v1.5 is outstanding.
Winace, Izarc, 7-Zip - these are all excellent
compression/decompression utilities. I've used all of them and can
recommend any one of them
Phex - java based p2p file sharing proggie that is a little slow at
first but really does great getting the job done.
Real and Quicktime Alternative - excellent proggies if you don't care
for REAL or Apple software all that much. Works great with Media Player
Classic.
XMPlay - v3.3, IMHO the best music player for XP.
Adaware SE Personal - a part of Google's software package now, a
classic tool for the Internet enable computer.
SpywareBlaster - Javacool know how to make a handy one-time use
program!
SpyBot - who doesn't use this? It's free, effective, and constantly
updated.

Louis.Duncan

Not sure, but if I remember correctly there is an equaliser so you
should be able to adjust the output that way.

Frank Bohan

Frank said:
FWIW I have this program, but when I tried to convert some .rm files it
said
DirectX 8.1 OR LATER was needed. I downloaded and installed DX9, although
Belarc shows that I already had this, but I still get the same message
when
trying to convert. I eventually used MediaPlayerClassic to play the files
and CDex to record them as MP3s. OS is XP(SP2).

===

Frank Bohan
¶ I love work; it fascinates me; I can sit and watch it for hours.

Search for the "streambox vcr suite" (no longer supported but still
hosted at a couple of sites), has a small app in called streamripper
which will convert .rm files to wav or mp3. Nice a simple to use.

Thanks Louis. I already had this program but had forgotten about the
"ripper.exe" component. I just tried it and it works fine. The URL I have is
http://www.etplanet.com/download/details.php?file=215 . It seems to be still
available at this site. (PS I do not want to start a flame war but on ACF
bottom posting is preferred)

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Agnus Dei was a woman composer famous for her church music.

Frank Bohan

Jim said:
I am having the same problem here. I did email the author but never
received and answer. Does anyone know why direct x is not recognized?

Nice to know that it's not a fault on my system. As mentioned in another
post in this thread, suggest you have a look at ripper.exe in streamripper
vcr suite.

http://www.etplanet.com/download/details.php?file=215

===

Frank Bohan
¶ There are 10 types of people, some who understand binary and some who
don't.

kopn

Thanks Frank Bohan for the link!
Can the ripper.exe normalize volume (increase low volume) during the
convertion?

kopn

Thanks (e-mail address removed) for your reply!
Using some software to do volume normalization afterwards, once it's in
mp3 form, recompreses the audio additionally. The additional
recompression takes additional time and reduces quality.
[...]

How can an equaliser make loudest sounds 0db and insrease volume of low
volume sounds in an audio? I want to normalize automatically during the
conversion. What program can do this?

q_q_anonymous

Thanks (e-mail address removed) for your reply!
Using some software to do volume normalization afterwards, once it's in
mp3 form, recompreses the audio additionally. The additional
recompression takes additional time and reduces quality.

what if you convert the file to an uncompressed format, like, perhaps,
wav(they're pretty big I think). Then normalize the volume of the wav,
then convert to mp3 ?

googling around. real player premium can do volume normalization when
you burn to cd.

But perhaps, better. The freeware VideoLAN has an option
Settings -> Extended GUI ->Audio -> Voume normalization

Apparently WinAMP can do volume normalization, but can't play real
player.

fc42

--

I used to use db PowerAmp, but I wanted something faster. The free basic
version of SWITCH will convert rm. to mp3 in a fraction of the actual

If you want to normalize your files after they are converted, try mp3Gain at
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ It's an extra step, but I save so much time
on the conversion that it is still faster than dbAmp.

Good luck1

fc42
Just a hitchhiker on the Information Superhighway.

kopn

Thanks (e-mail address removed) for the information!
Does real player premium convert rm to mp3 and volume normalize at the
same time?
I need an adaptive volume normalize which compresses a dynamic range,
making all audio louder.