How to change the shell from explorer.exe to custum shell for users and not administrator

crookj

Looking to change the default shell explorer.exe with a custom exe
file only for the 2 local users i have on the machine and want to
leave the administrator account with the normal shell.. can someone
please explain step by step on how to do this..... The issue is
that i have to remote uses connecting to this machine and i only want
them to have access to 1 program and not windows. Thanks for any help
i receive.

Jay C

Dave Patrick

You can set the Reg_Sz string value of;
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
to the full path of the program you wish to start by default. found at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

For example to start the command interpreter;
"Shell"="C:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe"

You may be able to define this per user at;
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

marinema6

[...]

Thanks for the help.. That worked out great.

Jay C

Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Dave,
it isnice to have a such solition . what i want to ask is:

I developed an applicatiın in Java will run on Fujitsi LIFEBOOK T580 Tablet PC. I want Java application to load from a .bat file when Tablet PC boots automatically like Banks ATMs. I set it into msconfig startup but until XP default shell Explorer.exe loads if any user touch on tablet pc screen then my application loading break.

Can i set my app.bat default Shell instead of Explorer.exe like you said cmd.exe ?
Its extension must be .exe? it cant be .bat?

thanks.

On Jun 20, 12:18 am, "Dave Patrick"
<[email protected]>