how to back up customized themes?

Parhez Sattar

How would one backup themes that have been customized in
FP2003? We have customized a few themes and don't want to
lose them, though we are backing up the client machine
that has the FP2003 installed. We want to 1)make sure
that the themes will be available even if the PC crashes
as well as potentially making those themes available to be
imported into other PCs.

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Parhez,

You could back them up from the following location :
$ProfileName\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

| From: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| Subject: how to back up customized themes?
| Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:46:42 -0800
|
| How would one backup themes that have been customized in
| FP2003? We have customized a few themes and don't want to
| lose them, though we are backing up the client machine
| that has the FP2003 installed. We want to 1)make sure
| that the themes will be available even if the PC crashes
| as well as potentially making those themes available to be
| imported into other PCs.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Vijay,

Is each theme contained within itself?...or are parts of it scattered about?

Robo

| Hi Parhez,
|
| You could back them up from the following location :
| $ProfileName\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes
|
| Regards,
| Vijay
|
| Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| no rights
|
| --------------------
| | From: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| | Sender: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: how to back up customized themes?
| | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:46:42 -0800
| |
| | How would one backup themes that have been customized in
| | FP2003? We have customized a few themes and don't want to
| | lose them, though we are backing up the client machine
| | that has the FP2003 installed. We want to 1)make sure
| | that the themes will be available even if the PC crashes
| | as well as potentially making those themes available to be
| | imported into other PCs.
| |

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Robo,

They are sort of self contained, i.e. there are 4 files for each theme
within their folder with the theme name. I copied them across systems and
they worked like a charm.

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: how to back up customized themes?
| Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:40:27 -0700

| Vijay,
| Is each theme contained within itself?...or are parts of it scattered
about?
| Robo
| | Hi Parhez,
| |
| | You could back them up from the following location :
| | $ProfileName\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes
| |
| | Regards,
| | Vijay
| |
| | Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and
confers
| | no rights
| |
| | --------------------
| | | From: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| | | Sender: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| | | Subject: how to back up customized themes?
| | | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:46:42 -0800
| | |
| | | How would one backup themes that have been customized in
| | | FP2003? We have customized a few themes and don't want to
| | | lose them, though we are backing up the client machine
| | | that has the FP2003 installed. We want to 1)make sure
| | | that the themes will be available even if the PC crashes
| | | as well as potentially making those themes available to be
| | | imported into other PCs.
| | |
| |

Stefan B Rusynko

The std location is %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes
where %USERPROFILE% is typically the User name folder w/i C:\Documents and Settings\
--

| Hi Parhez,
|
| You could back them up from the following location :
| $ProfileName\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes
|
| Regards,
| Vijay
|
| Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| no rights
|
| --------------------
| | From: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| | Sender: "Parhez Sattar" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: how to back up customized themes?
| | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:46:42 -0800
| |
| | How would one backup themes that have been customized in
| | FP2003? We have customized a few themes and don't want to
| | lose them, though we are backing up the client machine
| | that has the FP2003 installed. We want to 1)make sure
| | that the themes will be available even if the PC crashes
| | as well as potentially making those themes available to be
| | imported into other PCs.
| |

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Vijay,

Thanks! I was wondering because it 'kinda' seems like graphics (all dem buttons;-) might be shared, but I guess not. Anyway it's not important...just curious.

thanks again

Robo

| Hi Robo,
|
| They are sort of self contained, i.e. there are 4 files for each theme
| within their folder with the theme name. I copied them across systems and
| they worked like a charm.
|
| Regards,
| Vijay
|
| Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| no rights
|
| --------------------
| | From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=
| <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: how to back up customized themes?
| | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:40:27 -0700

| |
| | Vijay,
| | Is each theme contained within itself?...or are parts of it scattered
| about?
| | Robo
| | |
| | | You could back them up from the following location :
| | | $ProfileName\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | | Vijay
| | |
| | | Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and
| confers
| | | no rights
| | |
| | | --------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| |

Stefan B Rusynko

Each theme's content is unique (even they may look the same)
For more info on what's in your theme see
http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/frontpage/themes/newthemes.html#Granular

--

Vijay,

Thanks! I was wondering because it 'kinda' seems like graphics (all dem buttons;-) might be shared, but I guess not. Anyway it's not
important...just curious.

thanks again

Robo

| Hi Robo,
|
| They are sort of self contained, i.e. there are 4 files for each theme
| within their folder with the theme name. I copied them across systems and
| they worked like a charm.
|
| Regards,
| Vijay
|
| Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| no rights
|
| --------------------
| | From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=
| <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: how to back up customized themes?
| | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:40:27 -0700

| |
| | Vijay,
| | Is each theme contained within itself?...or are parts of it scattered
| about?
| | Robo
| | |
| | | You could back them up from the following location :
| | | $ProfileName\Application Data\Microsoft\Themes
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | | Vijay
| | |
| | | Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and
| confers
| | | no rights
| | |
| | | --------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| |

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Cool thanks!

While we are on the subject of a theme's graphics elements...I noticed something about FP's themes :-(...

I was experimenting with a local test web the other day...kinda playing around with themes to see which ones might work with a particular design. To preview the theme you have to save the page (yep), when you save the theme to the local web copy...it saves ALL the elements of that theme (I guess). So when I went back to look at the files/folders I have a zillion themes in the web (all the ones I had experimented with). It makes sense I guess, but if I hadn't noticed this I'd have a zillion extra files? I guess it's just something one should be aware of?

Robo

| Each theme's content is unique (even they may look the same)
| For more info on what's in your theme see
| http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/frontpage/themes/newthemes.html#Granular
|
| --
|
| _____________________________________________
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| _____________________________________________
|

| Vijay,
|
| Thanks! I was wondering because it 'kinda' seems like graphics (all dem buttons;-) might be shared, but I guess not. Anyway it's not
| important...just curious.
|
| thanks again
|
| Robo
|

| | Hi Robo,
| |
| | They are sort of self contained, i.e. there are 4 files for each theme
| | within their folder with the theme name. I copied them across systems and
| | they worked like a charm.
| |
| | Regards,
| | Vijay
| |
| | Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| | no rights
| |
| | --------------------
| | | From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=
| | <[email protected]>
| | | Subject: Re: how to back up customized themes?
| | | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:40:27 -0700
| |
| | |
| | | Vijay,
| | | Is each theme contained within itself?...or are parts of it scattered
| | about?
| | | Robo
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | confers
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | |
| |

Stefan B Rusynko

In FP2003 see View Reports Shared Content Themes to see if any pages are using it (if so, remove the theme), then delete the
Themename folder

You don't need to save the page to "preview" the theme
--

Cool thanks!

While we are on the subject of a theme's graphics elements...I noticed something about FP's themes :-(...

I was experimenting with a local test web the other day...kinda playing around with themes to see which ones might work with a
particular design. To preview the theme you have to save the page (yep), when you save the theme to the local web copy...it saves
ALL the elements of that theme (I guess). So when I went back to look at the files/folders I have a zillion themes in the web (all
the ones I had experimented with). It makes sense I guess, but if I hadn't noticed this I'd have a zillion extra files? I guess it's
just something one should be aware of?

Robo

| Each theme's content is unique (even they may look the same)
| For more info on what's in your theme see
| http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/frontpage/themes/newthemes.html#Granular
|
| --
|
| _____________________________________________
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| _____________________________________________
|

| Vijay,
|
| Thanks! I was wondering because it 'kinda' seems like graphics (all dem buttons;-) might be shared, but I guess not. Anyway it's
not
| important...just curious.
|
| thanks again
|
| Robo
|

| | Hi Robo,
| |
| | They are sort of self contained, i.e. there are 4 files for each theme
| | within their folder with the theme name. I copied them across systems and
| | they worked like a charm.
| |
| | Regards,
| | Vijay
| |
| | Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| | no rights
| |
| | --------------------
| | | From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=
| | <[email protected]>
| | | Subject: Re: how to back up customized themes?
| | | Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:40:27 -0700
| |
| | |
| | | Vijay,
| | | Is each theme contained within itself?...or are parts of it scattered
| | about?
| | | Robo
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | confers
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | |
| |

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

| In FP2003 see View Reports Shared Content Themes to see if any pages are using it (if so, remove the theme), then delete the
| Themename folder
|
| You don't need to save the page to "preview" the theme

This was my mistake. It's not important anyway since I was just experimenting...I always try to 'break' things first before I create a real page :)

| --
|
| _____________________________________________
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| _____________________________________________
|

| Cool thanks!
|
| While we are on the subject of a theme's graphics elements...I noticed something about FP's themes :-(...
|
| I was experimenting with a local test web the other day...kinda playing around with themes to see which ones might work with a
| particular design. To preview the theme you have to save the page (yep), when you save the theme to the local web copy...it saves
| ALL the elements of that theme (I guess). So when I went back to look at the files/folders I have a zillion themes in the web (all
| the ones I had experimented with). It makes sense I guess, but if I hadn't noticed this I'd have a zillion extra files? I guess it's
| just something one should be aware of?
|
| Robo
|

| | Each theme's content is unique (even they may look the same)
| | For more info on what's in your theme see
| | http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/frontpage/themes/newthemes.html#Granular
| |
| | --
| |
| | _____________________________________________
| | SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| | "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| | To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | _____________________________________________
| |
| |
| | Vijay,
| |
| | Thanks! I was wondering because it 'kinda' seems like graphics (all dem buttons;-) might be shared, but I guess not. Anyway it's
| not
| | important...just curious.
| |
| | thanks again
| |
| | Robo
| |
| |
| | | Hi Robo,
| | |
| | | They are sort of self contained, i.e. there are 4 files for each theme
| | | within their folder with the theme name. I copied them across systems and
| | | they worked like a charm.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | | Vijay
| | |
| | | Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| | | no rights
| | |
| | | --------------------
| | | <[email protected]>
| | |
| | | |
| | | about?
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | confers
| | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | |
| |
| |

Parhez Sattar

Thanks for your reply, Vijay; and the others too for your
participation and input. I suppose from this I can
conclude that even on the same Win2K/XP machine, the
customize themes are not available to all users, but only
the profile that was used to customize them. All the more
reason to backup the themes, especially if profiles are
corrupted or the staff member leaves the organization at
which time the profile might be deleted by the over-
zealous IT dept.(I am part of that department) ;-)

chris leeds

I would suppose, unless its in the /all users profile.
I'd like to know how they make those slick installers they package themes in
from places like pixelmill.

Steve Easton

It's easy Chris.
It's done with a Setup Compiler.
Same kind of thing I used to create the executable "Fix" files I posted
here.
http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/index.htm

I'll have to send you a copy of a little "utility" I'm working on.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

chris leeds

I'd appreciate it.
I've got a couple of things I'll probably never get time to do that would
require this installer utility!

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Dang I just saw one of those on the many links between all the theme/template sites. I'd never find it again, but its on one of the bigger theme/template sites...not free, and I had no use for it so I didn't bookmark it.

| I would suppose, unless its in the /all users profile.
| I'd like to know how they make those slick installers they package themes in
| from places like pixelmill.
|
| --
| The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
| spam.
| Please feel free to contact me here:
| http://nedp.net/contact/
| --
|

| | > Thanks for your reply, Vijay; and the others too for your
| > participation and input. I suppose from this I can
| > conclude that even on the same Win2K/XP machine, the
| > customize themes are not available to all users, but only
| > the profile that was used to customize them. All the more
| > reason to backup the themes, especially if profiles are
| > corrupted or the staff member leaves the organization at
| > which time the profile might be deleted by the over-
| > zealous IT dept.(I am part of that department) ;-)

| > >|
| > in
| > crashes
| > be