how much can I up the voltage on my corsair ram

Paul

Here are my specs:

p4c 2.8 Ghz
1gig corsair DDR400 (dual channel kit) CAS Lat 2.
Abit Is7 Mobo
Radeon X800 pro

now previously I had this pc overclocked to 3.2 ghz with 512 meg of Geil
ram. but the geil ram was running at 5:4 cpu:RAM FSB ratio. the system was
nice and stable, but with a FSB of around 225, I was actually underclocking
my ram.

now that I have this Corsair ram, it will run at a 1:1 ratio with the cpu.
but it's not stable.

so, my question is, which of the following are my best options:

1. run my p4 @ 3.2ghz and use a 5:4 cpu to ram ratio, effectively
underclocking the ram

2. reduce my p4 speed to around 3ghz, and run the ram at 1:1

3. up the voltage on my ram to attempt to get it stable. at the moment I
have the voltage set to factory defaults. and if this is a good option, how
much should I raise by to be good and safe?

kony

[...]

What is the actual value set from "factory defaults"?
That is pretty central to the question. If it's 2.5,
certainly the voltage should be rasied as first attempt, but
probably not above 2.8 (at your own risk of course).

What voltage options does the board allow?

Try 2.7

Frankly I'd raise (relax) the memory timings before lowering
FSB that much, and see if that'll get it at 225FSB with 1:1.

However, you can benchmark this yourself to determine best
performance for your particular app(s) of interest, and this
isn't an overclocking newsgroup... you might find more help
in appropriate group.

ElJerid

Paul said:
[...]

You will not be helped by raising the voltage of your memory. You could try
to change the memory cas settings to 3-4-4-7 or something similar. But I
doubt this will allow you to run stable. Corsair DDR400 (PC3200)is build to
run at 200 MHz and should be overclockable for 2 to 10 % in the best cases.
If you want to run the fsb at 225 MHz, you will have to set the ratio at
5:4, or to change the memory for PC3700 (233 MHz) or PC4000 (250 MHz), which
will allow to run at 225 MHz and higher at a 1:1 ratio (but still with cas
latency settings of 3 (see Corsair site www.asktheramguy.com for best cas
settings for your type of memory).

Ted

[...]

NF3-250/AMD64
Corsair PC3200LLPT XMS 2.6V 2-2-2-6
225MHz @ 2-3-2-6, 2.8v.
zoom-zoom-zoom! :)

Paul

Ted wrote in message said:
NF3-250/AMD64
Corsair PC3200LLPT XMS 2.6V 2-2-2-6
225MHz @ 2-3-2-6, 2.8v.
zoom-zoom-zoom! :)

hmmm, 2.8 v, that's kinda pushing it. can anyone else report upping the
voltage this much? how long have you been running in this config for?

kony

hmmm, 2.8 v, that's kinda pushing it. can anyone else report upping the
voltage this much? how long have you been running in this config for?

Depends on the memory, 2.8V is always overvolting AFAIK, but
not much of a problem if the modules stay cool... which only
you can check. Or to look at it another way, 2.6V is quite
common and 2.8 is less than 10% increase.

To put it another way, you want to overclock... if all
memory worked at same timings and same voltage, wouldn't it
just be rated higher to begin with?