how do I use a drop down list in an email message

G

I send an email message over and over with only slight changes and wanted to
make use of a drop down list in the email. However when I send the message
the drop down item can't be seen by the person I sent the message to.

What am I doing wrong

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

It's impossible to say what you did wrong since we don't know what you did in the first place, nor your Outlook version, what mail program the other person is using, whether you're both working for the same company and have Exchange for your mail server -- all of which is relevant.

The short answer, however, is: You probably did nothing wrong other than try to do something with email that it just doesn't generally support.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

G

I am using Outlook 2002. I am working on a college campus and sending a
similar email frequently with slight changes, I attempted to use design form
feature but the drop down item does not appear at the other end.

Can you recommend something else to try?

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Put the drop-down list on a VBA form and use code for that form to generate the new message and fill in the value from the drop-down list. A useful technique is to create the message with a token (e.g. %myfield%) where you want the drop-down list selection to appear. Save that message as an .oft file. Your code can then load it with the Application.CreateItemFromTemplate method and use a simple Replace() to change the message's HTMLBody property, swapping out the token text for the list text.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

G

Thanks, I give it a try

Sue Mosher said:
Put the drop-down list on a VBA form and use code for that form to generate the new message and fill in the value from the drop-down list. A useful technique is to create the message with a token (e.g. %myfield%) where you want the drop-down list selection to appear. Save that message as an .oft file. Your code can then load it with the Application.CreateItemFromTemplate method and use a simple Replace() to change the message's HTMLBody property, swapping out the token text for the list text.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Ask a Question