How do I type below footnote line?

Grad student in distress

I need to add a statement below the footnote line before I start my numbered
footnotes. How do I do it?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Two ways:

1. You could insert an unnumbered ("custom") footnote at the beginning. This
can be problematic because it more or less requires that you insert a
footnote with a special reference mark and then either delete the mark or
make it hidden. Even if you're the only person who will ever edit the
document, it's all to easy to forget what you have done, and it can be a
nightmare for someone else to deal with.

2. In the first line of the first footnote, press Home to get to the
beginning of the line, then Enter to create a new paragraph above the
footnote. Whatever you type there will show up as part of the first footnote
in the ScreenTip that pops up when you mouse over the reference mark.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Grad student in distress" <Grad student in
news:[email protected]...