How do I transfer a sum of 2 values on my form, to my table?

Dave - Need help with my form

=Sum([Commission])+([Salary]) - This formula on my access form works, but it
does not feed the result to my table. Its great that I can see the result of,
commission + Salary, but I want to feed this done to the table, so that I can
later run queries/reports. How do I do this?

I hope that have explained the problem!

Thanks,

Dave

Rob Parker

Hi Dave,

With very few exceptions, you should NOT be storing calculated data in your
tables: it's a waste of space, it's slow (disc access time to retrieve
records is much longer than calculation time), and worst, it's likely to
lead to inconsistent data if the underlying value(s) change.

The standard approach is to do such calculation in a query (in a blank
field, enter "Total: [Commission]+[Salary]"), and base your forms/reports on
the query, rather than on the underlying table. Or, if you only need the
result displayed on a form/report (rather than being available to sort or
filter on, for example), just do as you are doing now.

HTH,

Rob

"Dave - Need help with my form" <Dave - Need help with my
news:[email protected]...