How do I split an entire project in WMM (video clips + Audio track)?

Michel Merlin

I have built a "Song1.MSWMM" project file and the according "Song1.WMV" movie file, by using one single MP3 file for the music, and a dozen JPG files for the (scrolling) score. The total is 7min, 6.8GB. My system is WinXP Pro up to date, with WMM2.1 (Windows Movie Maker 2.1).

Now I want to use the first 2minutes to make another, shorter, movie, that I think I can upload to Youtube (I am afraid that, despite many people do upload entire first rate works, the 7min may hurt some ©).

In WMM2.1, in the Timeline, on each of the clips after the 2minutes spot, I Right-Clicked and chose "Delete", which did remove all the video clips after that 2min point, then I saved the "Song1_2min.MSWMM" project file. But of course the single audio track is still entire, so when I play, at 2min the video of the score does stop, but the audio continues.

So it appears that what I did is cutting *the video only*, while what I want is cutting *the whole movie* (and first, the whole project), including video *and sound*. How do I? TIA,

Versailles, Sat 15 Dec 2007 19:50:10 +0100

John Inzer

Michel said:
[...]

======================
Lots of info but if you keep scrolling you
may find something useful:

Your .mswmm file is your project file...the
purpose for this is in case you wish to
reopen it and continue editing.

I would suggest that you save your finished
project as a movie...either .wmv or .avi...

To save as an .avi movie file...
(and several other options)
Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard /
Choose...My Computer /
Next /
Enter a Name and a Save Location /
Next /
Show More Choices /
Other Settings /
Open the drop window and choose...DV-AVI /
Next /
Wait while the movie is saved /
Finish...

To save as a .wmv movie file...
Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard /
Choose...My Computer /
Next /
Enter a Name and a Save Location /
Next /
Tick...'Best Quality For My Computer'
Next/
Wait while the movie is saved /
Finish...

Also, you may find it useful to use
a custom profile:

Movie Maker 2 - Saving
Movies - Custom WMV Profiles
http://tinyurl.com/s2vgu

Creating Custom Profiles
for Windows Movie Maker 2
http://tinyurl.com/cuny7

Once you have the completed movie file...
reimport it into movie maker and split it
anywhere you like.

Here's some info on splitting:

Maybe something in the following
tutorial will work for you:

"Splitting A Clip In MM2.1"

Drag the video/audio clip to the
Timeline.

Play the video/audio by clicking the
"Play" button under the view screen.

You will see the Playback Indicator
(vertical line) advancing across the
timeline.

Click the "Pause" button at the point
where you wish to trim and type...
Ctrl+L or click the "Split" button at the
bottom of the view screen.
(you can also make adjustments by
dragging the Playback Indicator)

Make as many splits as you want and
remove the unwanted clips by right
click / delete.

And...Movie Maker 2.1 only displays every
other frame. In order to see all frames, the
following info from PapaJohn may be useful:

===

Movie Maker 2 shows you every-other-frame
when doing project editing. MM1 and Movie
Maker in Vista show you each frame.

It's usually not a problem when skipping over
the in-between frames, but sometimes you
notice a flickering frame in a clip that is a 'stray',
and you can't see or cut it out.

If you apply the Slow - Down - Half video effect
to a clip in the timeline, you are then seeing
each frame rather than every other one. You
can see the problem frame and split it out.
Then remove the effect from the clip to return
it to normal.

Here's some info on YouTube:

From Movie Maker 2 and Photo Story 3
PapaJohn's Guide to YouTube
http://tinyurl.com/2eh3d3

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Michel Merlin

Thx for the extensive reply - yes you are right, too long is not a problem when complete, accurate and structured, you made me find immediately what I needed. I resume (for the next ones needing it):

- WMM2.1 > File > New Project (which empties the panes clean)
- In Windows Explorer, Copy the "Song1.WMV" movie file into "Song1_2mn.WMV"
- Drag that "Song1_2mn.WMV" into the Collection pane in WMM2.1
- Drag it again from the Collection pane to the Timeline
- Play it, and pause at the right moment; zoom the Timeline to get more precise;
- Clip > Split (or Ctrl+L)
- Right-Click in the part at right of the vertical Split line and chose "Delete"
- File > Save Project As "Song1_2mn.MSWMM"
- File > Save Movie File as "Song1_2mn.WMV"

Thx again
Versailles, Sun 16 Dec 2007 02:09:45 +0100

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
Lots of info but if you keep scrolling you may find something useful:

Your .mswmm file is your project file...the purpose for this is in case you wish to reopen it and continue editing.

I would suggest that you save your finished project as a movie...either ..wmv or .avi...

To save as an .avi movie file... (and several other options)
Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard / Choose...My Computer / Next / Enter a Name and a Save Location / Next / Show More Choices / Other Settings / Open the drop window and choose...DV-AVI / Next / Wait while the movie is saved / Finish...

To save as a .wmv movie file...
Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard / Choose...My Computer / Next / Enter a Name and a Save Location / Next / Tick...'Best Quality For My Computer' Next/ Wait while the movie is saved / Finish...

http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-SavingMovies-CustomProfiles.html

Creating Custom Profiles for Windows Movie Maker 2 http://tinyurl.com/cuny7 =
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/customprofile.mspx

From Movie Maker 2 and Photo Story 3 - PapaJohn's Guide to YouTube http://tinyurl.com/2eh3d3 =

[...]