How do I set the login for user dbo in a database

David Thielen

Hi;

This is on Sql Server 2005

I am copying a database from work to home. Both computers are
workstations on seperated domains (at home I have a Small Business
Server).

So I do a backup at work where the owner of the database is
WORKDOMAIN\david and restore it on my work system where I am the user
HOMEDOMAIN\david.

I have to do the restore as Overwrite the existing database because
otherwise it fails telling me that the backup file does not match the
system I am restoring to.

So I do the restore and get all the tables, data, etc. But when I go
to the database, Security, Users and then properties on dbo - the
radio button for Login name is checked - but the edit box is empty.
How do I set the user for this user/login?

thanks - dave

david@[email protected]
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com

Steven Cheng

Hi Dave,

Based on the scenario you described, you're likely running into a "orphaned
user" issue. Here are some existing kb article mentioned some means to
resolve oraphaned users cases:

#How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546

#PRB: "Troubleshooting Orphaned Users" Topic in Books Online is Incomplete
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274188

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

Steven Cheng

Hi Dave,

How are you doing?

Does the "resolve orphaned user" info in my last reply help you on this
issue?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: (e-mail address removed).

David Thielen

Still trying - I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything
(because I got an error running ildasm and the error code did not say
what was wrong so there was no other way to fix it). I'm now trying to
get the Sql Server Administrator installed so I can try this. Some of
Microsoft's programs are very frustrating to use...

thanks - dave

Hi Dave,

How are you doing?

Does the "resolve orphaned user" info in my last reply help you on this
issue?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: (e-mail address removed).

david@[email protected]
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your reply Dave,

I'm sorry to hear that, sounds quite a serious issue. Anyway, if you need
further assistance on this, please feel free to post here.