How do I round a number to the nearest thousand in Excel???

Hi need help fast....
I need to round my number to the nearest thouseand.
Example 123,456.7890
I want it to read 123
I formatted to the deimal is rounded but can't round the comma....
I tried the custom cell formatting options...No Luck
HELP

James Silverton

Hello, Round!
You wrote on Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:19:03 -0700:

Rtr> Hi need help fast....
Rtr> I need to round my number to the nearest thouseand.
Rtr> Example 123,456.7890
Rtr> I want it to read 123
Rtr> I formatted to the deimal is rounded but can't round the
Rtr> comma.... I tried the custom cell formatting options...No
Rtr> Luck HELP

HELP is what to use!

Anyway, =round(a1/1000,0)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Assuming the value is in A1, then =LEFT(ROUND(A1,0),3) would return the
thousands value.

Try
Format > Cells > Number > Custom
In the "Type" box enter #,##0,

This chanes the format while keeping the precision of the number of future
calculations.