How do I get excel to open with cursor in same cell as when close

Angie69

Up until a couple of weeks ago, when I closed and reopened an excel
spreadsheet, it would reopen in the cell where the cursor was left. Now all
of a sudden it jumps to one particular cell every time I reopen the
spreadsheet.. This is a spreadsheet that I use to input daily numbers, so I
am having to scroll further and further down the sheet everytime I reopen it.
Don't know why the change happened? Any suggestions on how to get it to
open where I leave it?

Jim Cone

What Excel version?
Did you recently change Excel versions?
Is the workbook shared?
Do others have access to the file?
Is the worksheet protected?
What add-ins are you using?
Is there any "code" in the workbook?
What changes were made to the workbook just before the problem started?
-and-
Are you saving the workbook before you close it?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Angie69" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Up until a couple of weeks ago, when I closed and reopened an excel
spreadsheet, it would reopen in the cell where the cursor was left. Now all
of a sudden it jumps to one particular cell every time I reopen the
spreadsheet.. This is a spreadsheet that I use to input daily numbers, so I
am having to scroll further and further down the sheet everytime I reopen it.
Don't know why the change happened? Any suggestions on how to get it to
open where I leave it?

Dave Peterson

Excel won't remember where the activecell was when you close the workbook, but
it will remember the location when you save the workbook.

So if you save the workbook, then move somewhere else and close without saving,
that last location won't be remembered.

If you meant the location of the activecell when you saved, then maybe you have
a macro that's hslping.

If you open the workbook with macros disabled, do things work the way they
should?

If yes, then I bet you have a macro that's trying to "help".

On the other hand, you may like your own macro that goes to the next available
cell in column A of a specific worksheet whenever the workbook is opened.

If you want to try:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

Dim NextCell As Range

With Worksheets("Sheet1") '<-- change to the correct sheet
Set NextCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End With

Application.Goto reference:=NextCell, scroll:=True 'or false?
End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros here:
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)