How do I enable hyperthreading???

mike

Vista ultimate sp1
I upgraded the P4 processor.
Enabled hyperthreading in the bios.
PCwizard says the system can do hyperthreading,
but it's disabled. Benchmarks indicate this is true.

If I reload vista from scratch, hyperthreading
is enabled and works. Benchmarks much better.

I really don't want to have to reinstall from
scratch. Is there a way to enable hyperthreading
without a reinstall?

Thanks, mike

mike

Richard said:
A reinstall is necessary to detect your current hardware configuration.
Sure isn't much imagination visible...

I think I found the solution.
Replace hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe
with the ones from the clean vista install,
let vista fixup its boot failure.

Don't know what grief this will cause down
the road, but seems to be working now.

mike

AJR

Interesting regarding "... Benchmarks indicate this is true...." - what
benchmarks? Hyperthreading is dependent on whether or not an application
contains "multi-thread code" and in fact may slow down some applications.
According to Intel under best conditions a 30% performance increase is
possible ( more likely average 10%).

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mike,
It may be better to boot to WinRE, open a CMD prompt and run the following
command:
"bcdedit /set {default} detecthal Yes"
without the quotes.
This does hal detection on the next boot.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]