How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
still says there is an error.

Per Excel Help:

ATAN()
Returns the arctangent, or inverse tangent, of a number.

Is that what you're looking for?
(If not, check Excel's math and trig functions.)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

Bernard Liengme

Niek,
I think we have a language problem here.
Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.
We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
best wishes

Harlan Grove

Bernard Liengme wrote...
I think we have a language problem here.
Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.

^-1 rather than ^-10.

The proper term for 1/x is the reciprocal of x. Inverse is a more
general term which needs context such as additive, multiplicative or
function.
We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
best wishes

As for arctangents, when possible, better to use ATAN2 than ATAN since
the former can handle 90 and 270 (or -90) degree angles.

Niek Otten

Hi Bernard,

I was afraid of that, but took the OP's text literally:

<written as 1/tan or tan^-1>

Hopefully we get some sort of feedback to see what the intention was

Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
inv tan

I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
still says there is an error.

Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
119/120 = inv tan then show result 44.76(in Scientific Calculator) , How to write this calculation in excel

Last edited:
Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Inv tan Function

Calculation is not work correctly.

I have use scientific calculator of my PC as follows step by step:

1. Open Calculator of your PC
2. Select Scientific Calculator from View menu
3. Type 119/120
4. Click = button
5. Show result: 0.99166666666666666
6. Enable Inv check box
7. Click tan button
8. Show result: 44.76

We need this result in use Microsoft Excel

Best regards,
Nishadul
(e-mail address removed)

Niek Otten said:
=1/TAN(A1)
=TAN(A1)^(-1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"MiddleEarthNet" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
> tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've
> tried
> various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
> still says there is an error.

Joined
Jul 8, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Calculation is not work correctly.

I have use scientific calculator of my PC as follows step by step:

1. Open Calculator of your PC
2. Select Scientific Calculator from View menu
3. Type 119/120
4. Click = button
5. Show result: 0.99166666666666666
6. Enable Inv check box
7. Click tan button
8. Show result: 44.76

We need this result in use Microsoft Excel

Best regards,
Nishadul
(e-mail address removed)

Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Your Calculator is showing the result in degrees whereas excel works in radians. If you want a result in degrees you need to multiply the function by 180/pi

i.e.

=(ATAN(119/120)*(180/PI()))

Should return a result of 44.762

Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Your Calculator is showing the result in degrees whereas excel works in radians. If you want a result in degrees you need to multiply the function by 180/pi

i.e.

=(ATAN(119/120)*(180/PI()))

Should return a result of 44.762

I have found this method to be so much easier to read...

=(DEGREES(ATAN(119/120)))​

Joined
Jun 30, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, it was difficult for me to find it too...
here you...
you want inverse of sin i.e. sin^-1
Solution:
a.) sin 90 = 1, for this type :
=sin(radians(90))
only then the answer will return as 1 in degrees else it will give you 0.894 i.e. in radians.
if you type " =sin(90) " you will 0.894 which will be in radians.

b.) inverse sin (1) = 90, for this type :
=DEGREES(ASIN(1))
Only typing degrees in inverse funtion should be used as then the actual answer will be in degrees...

c.) inverse tan (1) = 45, for this type :
=DEGREES(ATAN(1))

d) inverse cos (1) = 0, for this type :
=DEGREES(ACOS(1))

I know this is the most helpful material ever posted with all the details.
keep posting,
ragards,
Mudassir Ariff
Pakistan