How do I do a New Mail Alert on a seperate folder??


A

Ajay Malkani

I have a rule to divert my important messages to a seperate folder marked
Urgent. Problem is, how do I apply a rule to this folder?? Lets say new mail
has come in and 2 messages have been sent to Urgent folder.. I need to know
right away that this folder has 2 new items.. Can someone please help??
Seems silly to have rules only for Inbox..

Thanks,
Ajay
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Roady [MVP]

I think you've got things mixed up now. All mails are being delivered to the
Inbox. With rules you can automatically move them to a different folder. You
can also set the action to show the New Message Notification in the rule.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
 
A

Ajay Malkani

No No-

Eg: I have a sms Inbox folder where all sms's come in. I want to be notified
as soon as there is an sms.. How do I set an alert for this folder?

Thx
Roady said:
I think you've got things mixed up now. All mails are being delivered to
the Inbox. With rules you can automatically move them to a different
folder. You can also set the action to show the New Message Notification in
the rule.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1

-----
Ajay Malkani said:
I have a rule to divert my important messages to a seperate folder marked
Urgent. Problem is, how do I apply a rule to this folder?? Lets say new
mail has come in and 2 messages have been sent to Urgent folder.. I need
to know right away that this folder has 2 new items.. Can someone please
help?? Seems silly to have rules only for Inbox..

Thanks,
Ajay
 
R

Roady [MVP]

You'll have to provide more info on your configuration. How do these message
come in? What type of mailaccount is being used? Do they come in your
default delivery location (Tools-> Options-> tab Email Accounts-> button
Next). We're talking about Outlook 2003 here, right?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1

-----
Ajay Malkani said:
No No-

Eg: I have a sms Inbox folder where all sms's come in. I want to be
notified as soon as there is an sms.. How do I set an alert for this
folder?

Thx
Roady said:
I think you've got things mixed up now. All mails are being delivered to
the Inbox. With rules you can automatically move them to a different
folder. You can also set the action to show the New Message Notification
in the rule.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1

-----
Ajay Malkani said:
I have a rule to divert my important messages to a seperate folder marked
Urgent. Problem is, how do I apply a rule to this folder?? Lets say new
mail has come in and 2 messages have been sent to Urgent folder.. I need
to know right away that this folder has 2 new items.. Can someone please
help?? Seems silly to have rules only for Inbox..

Thanks,
Ajay
 
A

Ajay Malkani

Yes.. Outlook2003. I receive the sms via a bluetooth link from my cell phone
directly into a foler called sms inbox which now forms part of my
outlook.pst file. The idea is that sms can be saved and backed up just like
regular mail.

So new sms's keep comin in but I dont know till i see either my phone or
manually click on this folder. All i want is a rule just like the main inbox
where as soon as there is a new item, u can be alerted.

Sounds simple doesn't it!

Thx for yr promptness,

Ajay
Roady said:
You'll have to provide more info on your configuration. How do these
message come in? What type of mailaccount is being used? Do they come in
your default delivery location (Tools-> Options-> tab Email Accounts->
button Next). We're talking about Outlook 2003 here, right?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1

-----
Ajay Malkani said:
No No-

Eg: I have a sms Inbox folder where all sms's come in. I want to be
notified as soon as there is an sms.. How do I set an alert for this
folder?

Thx
Roady said:
I think you've got things mixed up now. All mails are being delivered to
the Inbox. With rules you can automatically move them to a different
folder. You can also set the action to show the New Message Notification
in the rule.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
-Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1

-----
I have a rule to divert my important messages to a seperate folder
marked Urgent. Problem is, how do I apply a rule to this folder?? Lets
say new mail has come in and 2 messages have been sent to Urgent
folder.. I need to know right away that this folder has 2 new items..
Can someone please help?? Seems silly to have rules only for Inbox..

Thanks,
Ajay
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Brian Tillman

Ajay Malkani said:
So new sms's keep comin in but I dont know till i see either my phone
or manually click on this folder. All i want is a rule just like the
main inbox where as soon as there is a new item, u can be alerted.

Sounds simple doesn't it!

You are subverting Outlook's normal operation. Rules operate only on the
Inbox.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top