How do I create drop down links based on the navigational structu.

I know this is prbly an easy question, but being self taught this is the only
way I can get questions answered when I am stumped. I use FP 2003 and would
like to create a link bar with a dynamic effect that once you move the mouse
over it a drop down menu of links will be llisted for the links based on the
navigational structure.

Ravi Anguluri

Well no in FrontPage, you could try to use Layers in FrontPage to create
drop-down menus.

Create two layers, as such a main and a child layer (stacked 1 below the
other.) Change the visibilty of the child to hidden by clicking on under
the column with eye icon. The icon of a closed eye appears next to the
layer. Add a behaviour to the main layer, for on mouse over and on mouseout
so as to show & hide the child layer.

Hope this Information helps.
Regards
Ravi
MSFT

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights

--------------------

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.

| You can build your own drop down menu, but there is nothing available that
| uses the navigation structure for this.
|
| See www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
| and www.roksteady.net/menus/
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| | >I know this is prbly an easy question, but being self taught this is the
| >only
| > way I can get questions answered when I am stumped. I use FP 2003 and
| > would
| > like to create a link bar with a dynamic effect that once you move the
| > mouse
| > over it a drop down menu of links will be llisted for the links based on
| > the
| > navigational structure.

Ronx

Got a link? I would love to play with it myself.

I have looked at AllwebMenus Pro and Lite, but these are pure JavaScript and
I will not recommend them - they require an alternative navigation system
for JavaScript impaired browsers - as bad as using Java, but not so many
users affected.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.

| You can build your own drop down menu, but there is nothing available that
| uses the navigation structure for this.
|
| See www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
| and www.roksteady.net/menus/
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| | >I know this is prbly an easy question, but being self taught this is the
| >only
| > way I can get questions answered when I am stumped. I use FP 2003 and
| > would
| > like to create a link bar with a dynamic effect that once you move the
| > mouse
| > over it a drop down menu of links will be llisted for the links based on
| > the
| > navigational structure.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Yah, that's the one.
But you could just use text links down at the bottom in an include or something to solve the JS challenged site problem right?

| Got a link? I would love to play with it myself.
|
| I have looked at AllwebMenus Pro and Lite, but these are pure JavaScript and
| I will not recommend them - they require an alternative navigation system
| for JavaScript impaired browsers - as bad as using Java, but not so many
| users affected.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.
|

| | | You can build your own drop down menu, but there is nothing available that
| | uses the navigation structure for this.
| |
| | See www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
| | and www.roksteady.net/menus/
| |
| | --
| | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| |
| |
| | >only
| | > way I can get questions answered when I am stumped. I use FP 2003 and
| | > would
| | > like to create a link bar with a dynamic effect that once you move the
| | > mouse
| | > over it a drop down menu of links will be llisted for the links based on
| | > the
| | > navigational structure.
| |
| |

Ronx

Yes, you could do that (I do that anyway). But these menus leave a blank
space, which in some designs cannot be disguised. Allwebmenus advise
building a second set of pages, with a non-JavaScript nav. bar, for the
non-JavaScript browsers. My biggest objection though is the resulting menu
fails Accessibility requirements. IMO scrolling to the bottom of a page is
not a good usability alternative to the JavaScript menu.

If you intend to use the program, there is a bug - any pages in Navigation
View marked as "Do not include in link bars" will be included in the menu
regardless, and I have not yet been able to remove them. Might have to read
the manual :)

--

wrote in message Yah, that's the one.
But you could just use text links down at the bottom in an include or
something to solve the JS challenged site problem right?

| Got a link? I would love to play with it myself.
|
| I have looked at AllwebMenus Pro and Lite, but these are pure JavaScript
and
| I will not recommend them - they require an alternative navigation system
| for JavaScript impaired browsers - as bad as using Java, but not so many
| users affected.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.
|

| | | You can build your own drop down menu, but there is nothing available
that
| | uses the navigation structure for this.
| |
| | See www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
| | and www.roksteady.net/menus/
| |
| | --
| | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| |
| |
| | >only
| | > way I can get questions answered when I am stumped. I use FP 2003 and
| | > would
| | > like to create a link bar with a dynamic effect that once you move
the
| | > mouse
| | > over it a drop down menu of links will be llisted for the links based
on
| | > the
| | > navigational structure.
| |
| |

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

I was toying with the idea of using it - or some form of java script
menu to re-model a site that is becoming unmanagable with fp's navs...now I'm having second thoughts. I may just use vertical js flyouts then put standard text along the horizontal top in an include...dunno...i've been procrastinating on this for a couple of months :-(

| Yes, you could do that (I do that anyway). But these menus leave a blank
| space, which in some designs cannot be disguised. Allwebmenus advise
| building a second set of pages, with a non-JavaScript nav. bar, for the
| non-JavaScript browsers. My biggest objection though is the resulting menu
| fails Accessibility requirements. IMO scrolling to the bottom of a page is
| not a good usability alternative to the JavaScript menu.
|
| If you intend to use the program, there is a bug - any pages in Navigation
| View marked as "Do not include in link bars" will be included in the menu
| regardless, and I have not yet been able to remove them. Might have to read
| the manual :)
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | Yah, that's the one.
| But you could just use text links down at the bottom in an include or
| something to solve the JS challenged site problem right?
|

| | | Got a link? I would love to play with it myself.
| |
| | I have looked at AllwebMenus Pro and Lite, but these are pure JavaScript
| and
| | I will not recommend them - they require an alternative navigation system
| | for JavaScript impaired browsers - as bad as using Java, but not so many
| | users affected.
| |
| | --
| | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| |
| |
| | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| | wrote in message | | There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.
| |
| |
| that
| | | uses the navigation structure for this.
| | |
| | | See www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
| | | and www.roksteady.net/menus/
| | |
| | | --
| | | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| | |
| | |
| the
| the
| on
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Ronx

That sounds like the method I use at www.rxs-enterprises.org
Description at www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28

--

wrote in message I was toying with the idea of using it - or some form of java script
menu to re-model a site that is becoming unmanagable with fp's navs...now
I'm having second thoughts. I may just use vertical js flyouts then put
standard text along the horizontal top in an include...dunno...i've been
procrastinating on this for a couple of months :-(

| Yes, you could do that (I do that anyway). But these menus leave a blank
| space, which in some designs cannot be disguised. Allwebmenus advise
| building a second set of pages, with a non-JavaScript nav. bar, for the
| non-JavaScript browsers. My biggest objection though is the resulting
menu
| fails Accessibility requirements. IMO scrolling to the bottom of a page
is
| not a good usability alternative to the JavaScript menu.
|
| If you intend to use the program, there is a bug - any pages in Navigation
| View marked as "Do not include in link bars" will be included in the menu
| regardless, and I have not yet been able to remove them. Might have to
read
| the manual :)
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | Yah, that's the one.
| But you could just use text links down at the bottom in an include or
| something to solve the JS challenged site problem right?
|

| | | Got a link? I would love to play with it myself.
| |
| | I have looked at AllwebMenus Pro and Lite, but these are pure JavaScript
| and
| | I will not recommend them - they require an alternative navigation
system
| | for JavaScript impaired browsers - as bad as using Java, but not so many
| | users affected.
| |
| | --
| | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| |
| |
| | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)"
<[email protected]>
| | wrote in message | | There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.
| |
| |
| that
| | | uses the navigation structure for this.
| | |
| | | See www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
| | | and www.roksteady.net/menus/
| | |
| | | --
| | | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| | |
| | |
| the
| the
| on
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Yah like that.

Still working on installing FP2003...yah I'm the king of procrastinators :)

| That sounds like the method I use at www.rxs-enterprises.org
| Description at www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | I was toying with the idea of using it - or some form of java script
| menu to re-model a site that is becoming unmanagable with fp's navs...now
| I'm having second thoughts. I may just use vertical js flyouts then put
| standard text along the horizontal top in an include...dunno...i've been
| procrastinating on this for a couple of months :-(
|

| | | Yes, you could do that (I do that anyway). But these menus leave a blank
| | space, which in some designs cannot be disguised. Allwebmenus advise
| | building a second set of pages, with a non-JavaScript nav. bar, for the
| | non-JavaScript browsers. My biggest objection though is the resulting
| menu
| | fails Accessibility requirements. IMO scrolling to the bottom of a page
| is
| | not a good usability alternative to the JavaScript menu.
| |
| | If you intend to use the program, there is a bug - any pages in Navigation
| | View marked as "Do not include in link bars" will be included in the menu
| | regardless, and I have not yet been able to remove them. Might have to
| read
| | the manual :)
| |
| | --
| | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| |
| |
| | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| | wrote in message | | Yah, that's the one.
| | But you could just use text links down at the bottom in an include or
| | something to solve the JS challenged site problem right?
| |
| |
| | |
| | | I have looked at AllwebMenus Pro and Lite, but these are pure JavaScript
| | and
| | | I will not recommend them - they require an alternative navigation
| system
| | | for JavaScript impaired browsers - as bad as using Java, but not so many
| | | users affected.
| | |
| | | --
| | | Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| | |
| | |
| | | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)"
| <[email protected]>
| | | wrote in message | | | There is one that does, but I haven't played with it yet.
| | |
| | |
| | that
| | | |