how do I concatenate multiple CSV files into one?

RobinC

I have a bunch of single line CSV files (without even new line characters on
the end) that I want to concatenate into a single file, which I then want to
work with in excel.

How can I do this?

Bernie Deitrick

Robin,

Put the code below into an otherwise blank workbook, then run the macro, and select the files that
you want to combine when the file selection dialog appears.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Sub ConsolidateMultipleUserSelectedFiles()
Dim FileArray As Variant
Dim myBook As Workbook
Set myBook = ThisWorkbook

FileArray = Application.GetOpenFilename(MultiSelect:=True)
If IsArray(FileArray) Then
For i = LBound(FileArray) To UBound(FileArray)
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=FileArray(i), Origin:= _
xlWindows, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:= _
xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=True, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, _
Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(1, 1)
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Copy myBook.Worksheets(1).Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
ActiveWorkbook.Close False
Next i
End If

myBook.Save
End Sub

David Biddulph

Will the method outlined in Example 1 deal with putting each line onto a new
row (which is what I *guessed* the OP may have wanted)?

Ron de Bruin

Yes if the data is one row in every csv file it is one row in Excel when you import the txt file

Dave Peterson

Just a curiousity question...

If you open a single CSV file, do things get imported correctly.

That lack of linefeed characters scares me.

Ron de Bruin

Hi David

No problem here with a new test when I use the exact steps from my site
I go to bed now but maybe Dave or ? can help you

If not I reply tomorrow after work

Dave Peterson

I really think it depends on what this means:
"(without even new line characters on the end)"

I'm not sure if that means that there is no linefeed, no carriage return or
what.

I do remember having to convert text files that came from a UNIX system so that
each line had the DOS CRLF at the end of each line instead of just the UNIX LF
characters.

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

David Biddulph said:
Interesting!

When I tried it, the resulting file had no new line between the input csv
files, and didn't even have a comma or anything, so the first field of the
second file was concatenated with the last field of the first file, and so
on, and when imported into Excel they were all on the same row..

I wonder what I'm doing different from your suggestion?
--
David Biddulph

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk> wrote in message
Will the method outlined in Example 1 deal with putting each line onto a
new row (which is what I *guessed* the OP may have wanted)?
--
David Biddulph

Hi RobinC

You can do it also without code if you want
http://www.rondebruin.nl/csv.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

I have a bunch of single line CSV files (without even new line
characters on the end) that I want to concatenate into a single file,
which I then want to work with in excel.

How can I do this?

Dave Peterson

That matches up with my results, too.

I'd add those CRLF characters at the end of each line -- either in each file or
in the way I'd concatenate them.

David said:
In my test file I had no CR, LF, trailing comma, or any other delimiter
after the last character of the data. That was my interpretation of