How do I calculate a check-digit in Excel?

My math skills are deficient.
I've tried to work with 4 different formulas provided for other check-digit
makers, but my source number is 8 digits, and while it's a simpler formula, I
can't figure it out based on the other formulas:
Step 1 - divide the 8-digit number by 7;
Step 2 - multiply the remainder by 7. (If the remainder is more than one
digit, use only the first digit;
Step 3, Round that answer up to the next whole number. This is the check
digit

Note: If the remainder is zero, it is a whole number. Do not round up.
Zero is the check-digit.

Any help ???
Thanks in advance ...

David Biddulph

.... or more likely
=ROUNDUP(ROUNDDOWN(MOD(A1/7,1),1)*7,0)

Examples are shown at
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/import/cargo_control/in_bond_check.ctt/in_bond_check.docor http://www.ecustoms.com/vg/QPWP-resources-in_bond_check.cfm--David Biddulph"JE McGimpsey" <[email protected]> wrote in messageIf I understand you correctly:>> =ROUNDUP(ROUND(MOD(A1/7,1),1)*7,0)> In article <[email protected]>,> Dan <[email protected]> wrote:>>> My math skills are deficient.>> I've tried to work with 4 different formulas provided for othercheck-digit>> makers, but my source number is 8 digits, and while it's a simplerformula, I>> can't figure it out based on the other formulas:>> Step 1 - divide the 8-digit number by 7;>> Step 2 - multiply the remainder by 7. (If the remainder is more than one>> digit, use only the first digit;>> Step 3, Round that answer up to the next whole number. This is the check>> digit>>>> Note: If the remainder is zero, it is a whole number. Do not round up.>> Zero is the check-digit.>>>> Any help ???>> Thanks in advance ...

Thanks very much David.
Interesting that the exact link to the Customs in-bond entry check-digit
calculator was the source of my question. I' glad you recognized the
question.
Best regards

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/import/cargo_control/in_bond_check.ctt/in_bond_check.docor http://www.ecustoms.com/vg/QPWP-resources-in_bond_check.cfm--David Biddulph"JE McGimpsey" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> If I understand you correctly:>> =ROUNDUP(ROUND(MOD(A1/7,1),1)*7,0)> In article <[email protected]>,> Dan <[email protected]> wrote:>>> My math skills are deficient.>> I've tried to work with 4 different formulas provided for othercheck-digit>> makers, but my source number is 8 digits, and while it's a simplerformula, I>> can't figure it out based on the other formulas:>> Step 1 - divide the 8-digit number by 7;>> Step 2 - multiply the remainder by 7. (If the remainder is more than one>> digit, use only the first digit;>> Step 3, Round that answer up to the next whole number. This is the check>> digit>>>> Note: If the remainder is zero, it is a
whole number. Do not round up.>> Zero is the check-digit.>>>> Any help ???>> Thanks in advance ...

David Biddulph

It's always wise to quote the reference if you have a specific question,
Dan. The words you quoted didn't make sense without the extra data on the
page. Among other things, it's a strange definition of "remainder".
"Remainder" would normally be MOD(A1,7), not MOD(A1/7,1). Additional
confusion is caused when it says "if the remainder is more than one digit",
as any non-zero remainder with their definition is bound to be more than one
digit.

Thanks again. I'll take your advice and use the source document to ask the
question next time. I've gone to message/info boards a few times previously,
but never gotten an accurate response so quickly.