how do i average the totals of multiple cells, that have the same label

Jimbo

I hope i can make this make sense.
I have a spreadsheet that I've merged multiple sheets into. going down the
sheet there are multiple cells that have the same label, and adjacent to
that label in the next cell is a number. So I might have in C14 the word
tardiness and in B14 will be a score, like "4". now this gets repeated all
the way down, so maybe C42 we'll find tardiness again, and in B42 we'll have
a 2, etc. What I'd like to do is have the average of everything labeled
"tardiness" to be placed in cell H2. Where do I even start? I'll have to do
this with multiple labels and values.

Jim Cone

Use the SumIf function, check out Excel help for the details...
=SUMIF(C2:C100,"tardiness",B2:B100)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

"Jimbo" <[email protected]>
wrote in
message I hope i can make this make sense.
I have a spreadsheet that I've merged multiple sheets into. going down the
sheet there are multiple cells that have the same label, and adjacent to
that label in the next cell is a number. So I might have in C14 the word
tardiness and in B14 will be a score, like "4". now this gets repeated all
the way down, so maybe C42 we'll find tardiness again, and in B42 we'll have
a 2, etc. What I'd like to do is have the average of everything labeled
"tardiness" to be placed in cell H2. Where do I even start? I'll have to do
this with multiple labels and values.

Jimbo

Thank you so much Jim!
this is a great start, do you have any ideas on how to get the average
instead of the sum? I'm not sure if there is an "averageif" function.

Jim Cone

Type AverageIf into the "help" box in Excel, what you get depends on your Excel version.
If you get nothing then go back to the basics: Average = Sum of the Items/Number of Items...

=SUMIF(C2:C100,"tardiness",B2:B100)/COUNTIF(C2:C100,"tardiness")
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Jimbo" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Thank you so much Jim!
this is a great start, do you have any ideas on how to get the average
instead of the sum? I'm not sure if there is an "averageif" function.

Don Guillett Excel MVP

Type AverageIf into the "help" box in Excel, what you get depends on yourExcel version.
If you get nothing then go back to the basics:  Average = Sum of the Items/Number of Items...

=SUMIF(C2:C100,"tardiness",B2:B100)/COUNTIF(C2:C100,"tardiness")
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USAhttp://www.contextures.com/excel-sort-addin.html
.
.
.

"Jimbo" <[email protected]>
wrote in messageThank you so much Jim!
this is a great start, do you have any ideas on how to get the average
instead of the sum? I'm not sure if there is an "averageif" function.

Change to suit and ARRAY enter (ctrl+shift+enter)
=AVERAGE(IF((A2:A22="a"),B2:B22))

Jimbo

thanks for all your help guys! this works, until i get 2007!

;-)