how do I add up a column from one query and put it in another table?

Reaction score
I'm running MS Office 2000

Question is two fold - I need to add up a column of numbers from one query and place that number into another table.

here are the details:

the project summary is the top level - it has it's own table, containing general info about the project (Project number, name/contacts etc) as well as general specifications and a POWER(kw) field

the machine table contains information as to what machines will be used and is linked by the project number, the machine tables are linked to the component subform

the componet subform contains information on the various components each machine needs to operate and each component has a different power(kw) (components are linked to the machine table by machine name)

Project summary, machines, and components all have their separate tables

once I've put in the information for the project. I run a query based on the project number to pull the data for machines and the related componets, from there it goes to a Project Detail report, where each machine and its components are printed on individual pages.

the Project summary report is run from a different query and on this page I need to get the total Power(kw) from the project detail query - and put it in the PROJECT SUMMARY Table, so I can later run the summary report.

I did try to set up a query to pull all of the information into ONE query, but access kept 'blowing up' with that many fields, so I separated it into two queries - one for the machines and its components, and a second one for the Project Summary

Not sure if this is going to be a problem, or at the least a twist - but these projects are work-in-progress, machines and components may be changed/added/deleted through the design process

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Ask a Question