How can I protect Cells containing a formula?

I am using an Excel (XP) Workbook
Sheet1 contains all the data.
Sheet2 refers to specific data in sheet 1 using a linear array of
(=Sheet1!Cell#) statements (i.e. Sheet2 Cell A1 is to equal Sheet1 Cell A2
ect.).
This system works great until I insert a row (say between row 3 and 4) into
sheet 1; the insertion is not reflected in sheet2. References to row 4 of
sheet1 are totally omitted in sheet2. If I delete a row in sheet1 The values
of the corresponding cells of the row displays an “#REF!†error. I have
attempted to lock / protect sheet2 but receive an "!" warning that “this
(all) cell contains a formula and is not protectedâ€.
How can I prevent the values of the cells (containing a formula) from
changing?
Thanx

Jim Cone

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!B10")