How can I open files in the same window?

J

johnnyenergy

When I select multiple jpegs each one opens in a different
window. I have the folder options menu set not to do this
but to no avail. Please help!

C

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi johnnyenergy,

The following works for me, but YMMV:

- Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel, click Internet Options,
select the Advanced tab, and in the section named Browsing select the checkbox next
to Reuse windows for launching shortcuts.

If enabling the aforementioned setting does not work for your computer verify that
the Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) parameters are specified in the file association
properties for jpeg as described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.
Although the KB article was written for Windows 9x, Windows 2000 uses the same
parameters:

KB253788 - Unable to Open Images in Same Window
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=253788

Note 1: The "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" setting is "global". That is,
in
addition to opening the jpegs in one Internet Explorer Window, if there is already an
Internet Explorer window open when you click a Web link in an Internet-aware program
such as Outlook Express, the Web page will appear in the open browser window instead
of opening a new Internet Explorer window.

Note 2: The "Launch folder windows in a separate process" specifies that each folder
is opened in a separate part of memory. When you open each folder in a separate part
of memory, the stability of Windows 2000 can be increased. However, your computer's
performance might decrease slightly.

--
Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- c x g

: "johnnyenergy" <johnnyenergy AT yahoo DOT com>
: Wrote in message : Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 06:52 AM
: When I select multiple jpegs each one opens in a different
: window. I have the folder options menu set not to do this
: but to no avail. Please help!

Ask a Question