How can I copy installed programs over from a win98 drive to an xp drive so they run as per normal?

G

Hi All
I only have my drive from the old win 98 machine and it is dying quickly. I've copied it to my new hd as a whole
I want to use my installed programs on the new xp drive/machine that came from the old win98 drive and do not have a 2nd system to null modem/crossover etc. When I run the transfer wizard it only seems to want to copy the settings as though it is the new xp machine

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" does exactly as it name implies.....
transfers "Files and Settings". It will not transfer "Programs". You'll need
to install your programs using the original program installation CDs.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi All,
| I only have my drive from the old win 98 machine and it is dying quickly. I've copied it to my new hd as a
whole.
| I want to use my installed programs on the new xp drive/machine that came from the old win98 drive and do
not have a 2nd system to null modem/crossover etc. When I run the transfer wizard it only seems to want to
copy the settings as though it is the new xp machine.
|
|
| Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question