Hotbar in Internet Explorer

Steven McIntosh

Hi everybody,

We use a terminal server environment in our school here and have started
seeing the hotbar toolbar appearing on one of our servers. My question is
can we stop these toolbars being installed by users? The solution would have
to work whether the toolbar was installed without the users permission or if
the user downloaded the toolbar and installed it.

We're committed to using IE for comaptibility with our Intranet publishing
software so using Firefox or Opera isn't an option. I would appreciate any
help you could give.

Many thanks,

Steven.

Jason Tan

Hi Steven,

I suggest you trace the registry and check to see what permissions needed
to install the hotbar in Internet Explorer for the terminal users. You may
remove the write permission on the related registry for the terminal users
to prevent them installing the hotbar. You can trace the registry using
Advanced Registry Tracer or Regmon.

More information for your reference:
Regmon
http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/regmon.html

Advanced Registry Tracer
http://www.elcomsoft.com/art.html

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan