Windows XP Horrible slow PC! How to speed up loading?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
When I log on, it takes 30 seconds just to load the taskbar, in that time, the taskbar is all blue. After that it takes another 10 secs to load the startup programs.
THIS IS TOO LONG! It should be taking 5 SECS to get ready to go!
I run disk defragger, Ragistry Cleaner and cleared all temp files but it isn't good enough, how can I speed it up?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
This is what the start bar looks like

f_StartBarm_8aa4454.png

Reaction score
Lets see, you me and everybody else with XP has this same problem...Seriously I don't think I have ever sat infrnt of an XP machine and this hasn't happened...My laptops do it some days and don't do it other days..

P.S Can you resize your image please

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Record of 20 secs total, 5 secs to start taskbar. Should be fine, but are there any top tips I should know about to keep your computer's speed up?

Reaction score
How many icons have you got starting up in sys tray by the clock? Have you checked Task Manager to see how much CPU and ram usage is being used?

Regards,

Wiz

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
About 4 by the clock, 496mb approx ram used, CPU randomly jumpes up during disk activity, but settles quickly.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
How much RAM do you have and what kind of speed is it? From the look of your Motherboard i'm gonna guess its 400Mhz?

What kind of programs do have on startup? Itunes - ATI Catalyst? these all use memory, plus it says yoou are a cruncher, does BOINC run on startup, plus antivirus, spyware, it all adds up mate.

Plus you probably won't have any problems or none that are too serious, but you have an ATI graphics card on a Motherboard that has a Nvidia Chipset???

Could be why its slow, a small compatability issue perhaps?

I take it that your motherboard is the SLI version???

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
How much RAM do you have and what kind of speed is it? From the look of your Motherboard i'm gonna guess its 400Mhz?

What kind of programs do have on startup? Itunes - ATI Catalyst? these all use memory, plus it says yoou are a cruncher, does BOINC run on startup, plus antivirus, spyware, it all adds up mate.

Plus you probably won't have any problems or none that are too serious, but you have an ATI graphics card on a Motherboard that has a Nvidia Chipset???

Could be why its slow, a small compatability issue perhaps?

I take it that your motherboard is the SLI version???

Waynos while in theory what you say might slow the start up and task bar on Caps machine.I think as Flopps and I pointed out this is an issue with XP..I use an extremely stripped out version of XP and this is still an issue..

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Me Girlfriends crappy Dell Inspiron uses XP and although it does have a blue bar at the bottom when it loads, its for about half a second.

I upgraded the HDD and it now has 2GB RAM instead of 512mb, but its ready to use straight away, i took out all but the essential programs from the startup list as well.

Oh well, my mistake i guess.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say your mistake.It happens with some machines and not others, and with some as you did it rids it altogether..At the end of the day its only taking 20 odd seconds..Go stick the kettle on and its done..Nowt to worry about really

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Just got worried because it used to take 5 secs to get ready, why not now?

Corrr!!! you think thats slow mine takes ney on 150 secs to load:nod: so dont worry....I make a dinner while it starts:lol:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I fixed it! The "BLUE" cover over the task bar goes in half a second now. Heres how to do it (DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Go into (OS disk)\Documents and settings\[Username]\Application Data
Delete all folders exept savegame folders and folders named "Microsoft" and "Identities".
Your computer should now roughly be ready to go in about 10 secs.

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I fixed it! The "BLUE" cover over the task bar goes in half a second now. Heres how to do it (DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Go into (OS disk)\Documents and settings\[Username]\Application Data
Delete all folders exept savegame folders and folders named "Microsoft" and "Identities".
Your computer should now roughly be ready to go in about 10 secs.

Ok now that your PC boots up in 10 seconds, has it changed your life..???

Ask a Question