Home Page

The home page is now locked to http://t.rack.cc/h.php?aid=35 I am not able to selectUse Current, Use Default, or Use Blank buttons. I also get bad pop ups just by going to microsoft.com. Some pages will no longer load. I imagine this is some virus but none of my antivirus scans detect anything in my entire c drive. I've even tried unistalling ie 6.0 but it doesn't show within add/remove programs. This may be due to having service pack 2. If I have to uninstall service pack 2 will I put other programs in jeopardy?

Don Varnau

Ted,
Download and run CWShredder from http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html You
might also want to run Ad-aware and Spybot to remove other malware.

More information at:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
Ted Conners said:
The home page is now locked to http://t.rack.cc/h.php?aid=35 I am not able
to selectUse Current, Use Default, or Use Blank buttons. I also get bad pop
ups just by going to microsoft.com. Some pages will no longer load. I
imagine this is some virus but none of my antivirus scans detect anything in
my entire c drive. I've even tried unistalling ie 6.0 but it doesn't show
within add/remove programs. This may be due to having service pack 2. If I
have to uninstall service pack 2 will I put other programs in jeopardy?

H Leboeuf

Parasite alert!

Try this: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions

If this clears your problem then find out who the culprit(s) is/are with
these tools.

Let AD-Aware Scan your system for advertising Spyware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

and:

SpyBot-S&D
http://security.kolla.de/

p.s Reset the 3rd party browser setting.

More: This may be caused by a third-party program (adware, spyware,
parasite).
Get AdAware and SpyBot and run them both. Keep them up to date.
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines

Ted Conners said:
The home page is now locked to http://t.rack.cc/h.php?aid=35 I am not able
to selectUse Current, Use Default, or Use Blank buttons. I also get bad pop
ups just by going to microsoft.com. Some pages will no longer load. I
imagine this is some virus but none of my antivirus scans detect anything in
my entire c drive. I've even tried unistalling ie 6.0 but it doesn't show
within add/remove programs. This may be due to having service pack 2. If I
have to uninstall service pack 2 will I put other programs in jeopardy?

Mike Burgess

Ted,
t.rack.cc = coolwebsearch trojan (aka:TROJ_SEEKER.B)

How to remove Coolwebsearch and affiliates
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

Note: this type hijack indicates an unpatched machine, that is lacking
in "Defense". Please visit Windows Update to avoid these exploits.
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 01-25-04]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid