Home NAS setup

nvduffer

So I've finally decided to digitize all my CDs and DVDs plus 40 years
of photos and slides and move it all to a hard drive to facilitate
enjoying on my computer, TV, stereo, etc... total of about 1TB of
data. I am looking for a NAS enclosure only (ie. no drives included)
with 100MB or 1GB Ethernet that can hold at least 4x500GB SATA2
drives, more drive bays would be preferable. I have read up a bit on
offerings from D-Link and Linksys. Does anyone have any success
stories to share?

Rod Speed

So I've finally decided to digitize all my CDs and DVDs plus 40 years
of photos and slides and move it all to a hard drive to facilitate
enjoying on my computer, TV, stereo, etc... total of about 1TB of
data. I am looking for a NAS enclosure only (ie. no drives included)
with 100MB or 1GB Ethernet that can hold at least 4x500GB SATA2
drives, more drive bays would be preferable. I have read up a bit on
offerings from D-Link and Linksys. Does anyone have any success
stories to share?

I prefer to assemble it myself, gives you a lot more flexibility.

I did the same thing with a PVR too.

bealoid

I prefer to assemble it myself, gives you a lot more flexibility.

I did the same thing with a PVR too.

You've mentioned this a couple of times. I'd be really interested to see a
(very short, very simple) how-to for the process.

As I understand it someone takes an old PC, (low spec is fine) fits a
network card and a bunch of discs, then uses some of the NAS software
available.

NASlite (and others from that company)
FreeNAS etc

and then it's just booting the machine and setting it up.

Is it really that easy? What software do people recommend? What drives do
people recommend, and are there any drive configurations that should be
avoided?

Rod Speed

You've mentioned this a couple of times. I'd be really interested
to see a (very short, very simple) how-to for the process.
As I understand it someone takes an old PC, (low spec is fine) fits a network card

Mine always have that already.
and a bunch of discs, then uses some of the NAS software available.

Depending on what you want to do, you can just run XP on it.
NASlite (and others from that company)
FreeNAS etc
and then it's just booting the machine and setting it up.
Is it really that easy?
Yes.

What software do people recommend?

I just use XP. Server if you want to do software raid.
What drives do people recommend,

I like Samsungs myself, nice and quiet and they dont get as hot as some.
and are there any drive configurations that should be avoided?

Just avoid jamming the drives into every adjacent drive slot unless
you have a fan blowing air over the drives. Leave a free slot
between them if you dont have a fan blowing over the drives.

Arno Wagner

Previously bealoid said:
@mid.individual.net:
You've mentioned this a couple of times. I'd be really interested to see a
(very short, very simple) how-to for the process.
As I understand it someone takes an old PC, (low spec is fine) fits a
network card and a bunch of discs, then uses some of the NAS software
available.
NASlite (and others from that company)
FreeNAS etc
and then it's just booting the machine and setting it up.

Is it really that easy?

Well, depends. If you do not run into compatibility issues, it is.
Personally I have a Linux Fileserver, manually configured from
Debian. This is definitely not a novice-compatible approach.
What software do people recommend? What drives do
people recommend, and are there any drive configurations that should be
avoided?

Using a NAS-oriented Linux Distro should work fine (and has not
cost money, if it does not work). Other oprins exist, but I
have no experience with them.

As to disks, network cards, etc. anythign that works in a
''normal PC'' should be ok for such an NAS Box.

Arno

Kwyjibo

bealoid said:
"Rod Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in news:55f007F24d681U1
You've mentioned this a couple of times. I'd be really interested to see
(very short, very simple) how-to for the process.

As I understand it someone takes an old PC, (low spec is fine) fits a
network card and a bunch of discs, then uses some of the NAS software
available.

I prefer OpenFiler.
It supports all of the usual protocols (NFS, SMB, FTP etc.) but also
operates as a fully featured iSCSI SAN. You just use the standard software
iSCSI initiator included with WinXP to connect.

Just download and boot from the ISO, follow the prompts to install, then
configure it via the web interface. Takes about 15 minutes to have a fully
functional iSCSI SAN up and running.