Windows XP Home Drives Migration

Reaction score
All,

I'm looking to migrate approximately 330 user home drives from a W2K file server to a W2003 server on the same domain. I must admit networks and Active Directory are not my strongest subjects, I know enough to get by day to day. This is being scheduled over the weekend of 19th/20th August during a power down so hopefully shouldn't have issues with frigging around with open files.

Looking for some pointers really as to possible methods, ie, backup the folders on one server and restore to the other, a straight copy job etc.. (approx 100gb) Also is it possible update multiple accounts in AD to reflect the new profile location, ie change the profile path from \\slonfiles1\user$ to \\slonfile04\user$. Also any advice re setting a task plan for this would be great.

Many thanks,

Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well beyond me too I'm afraid - although if Techy see's this I'm sure he'll know the answer :)

Reaction score
Phew, im worried about connecting 5 computers to a hub to play games at the moment, so i think this is slightly out of my league!!

Would it not be better to seek professional help on this one mate? If this goes horribly wrong, will there not be some poo in a fan somewhere????

Ask a Question