hijacked FP

r a i n d r u m

FP 2003 won't run on backup computer (and something seems,
spookily, to forbid download of ftp software to this
backup machine (Win98).

A complication is that the hijacked module (if that's even
the right word) of FrontPage somehow deployed itself in
such a way as to make what had been showing in MSBA as a
standalone into a subordinate network member of who knows
what nest of Nazis.

In short, I'm hoping for a solution for the short run,
maybe some way to download an FP that will run on Win98.
Or do I have to go and buy ANOTHER one??

How to work on the website other than through the sloooow-
as-molasses web interface at bcentralhost. (We -- but not,
it seems, the stalking entity -- are on a dialup, in ISDN
AND land-line-looted Mendocino County.)

I figure I don't dare run any product that ISN'T
Microsoft, for the moment, or for the duration of Election
Fever. (http://DeepEndNews.com; we manifestly have no
privacy, and would welcome benevolent e-assistance, so
there seems to be no reason not to be specific.)

Yes, I realize that the FP03 won't go on this machine; if
you re-read original post, you will see that this is WHY,
not WHAT. That's why I'm asking -- about FP 98, or
whatever. (Until IBM/Microsoft resolves the XP hijacking
issue, which we have a feeling is a lot bigger than it
looks. And that .jpg business; sheesh!)

Do I have to get ANOTHER computer, after just having
gotten the IBM? THAT seems silly, not to mention
expensive. And a new computer wouldn't solve the hijacked
FP id/module, would it?

Thomas A. Rowe

What do you mean by "XP hijacking issue".

You DO NOT have FP, unless you have purchased FP, even if you see a FP folder under the Program
Folder, which is used by the OS and is not an application to be used by you, the users.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Steve Easton

Hijacked FrontPage module???

That's a new one on me. FrontPage installed on a client computer ( desktop ) has no security
issues.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Tom Pepper Willett

If he's trying to run FP 2003 on a Win 98 machine, that's a problem.
You can't.

--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
| Hijacked FrontPage module???
|
| That's a new one on me. FrontPage installed on a client computer (
desktop ) has no security
| issues.
|
| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|
| | > FP 2003 won't run on backup computer (and something seems,
| > spookily, to forbid download of ftp software to this
| > backup machine (Win98).
| >
| > A complication is that the hijacked module (if that's even
| > the right word) of FrontPage somehow deployed itself in
| > such a way as to make what had been showing in MSBA as a
| > standalone into a subordinate network member of who knows
| > what nest of Nazis.
| >
| > In short, I'm hoping for a solution for the short run,
| > maybe some way to download an FP that will run on Win98.
| > Or do I have to go and buy ANOTHER one??
| >
| > How to work on the website other than through the sloooow-
| > as-molasses web interface at bcentralhost. (We -- but not,
| > it seems, the stalking entity -- are on a dialup, in ISDN
| > AND land-line-looted Mendocino County.)
| >
| > I figure I don't dare run any product that ISN'T
| > Microsoft, for the moment, or for the duration of Election
| > Fever. (http://DeepEndNews.com; we manifestly have no
| > privacy, and would welcome benevolent e-assistance, so
| > there seems to be no reason not to be specific.)

Mr. Rowe, you might think about reading more carefully,
before contradicting somebody about a matter of fact. :^)
I certainly DO have FP03; paid a couple of hundred dollars
for it at Staples. I just can't USE it.

My query here is how to ... find a download of FP 98, or
something, while Microsoft/IBM figures out that XP
hijacking deal, which might have been accomplished in some
Group Policy maneuver which is over my head. (Because in
the meantime the XP computer -- the same kind the FBI and
those guys use -- is unusable. It's a long story; and a
big drag. What I'm hoping to find here, if not benevolent
hacker to search out the stalking entity or whatever it
is, is a short-term fix so I can take care of the website.