hiding start icon when SIP is enabled

J. A. Zanetti

Hello NG.
For the application i'm working on, i need to hide the
start icon on every form. Maximizing the form with no
border style, no control box and no menu works very well,
as forms appear as full-screen, thus hiding the start icon
and maximizing the available screen area at the same time.
With forms that need a SIP, though, the trick doesn't
work: SIP needs for a menu to exist on the form, and when
a menu exist the start icon becomes visible too.
I knew about the SHFullScreen API, and it worked fine with
eVB, but with VB .NET i can't find the form's handle (why
don't form have a hwnd property?). I found something about
GetCapture or FindWindow to retrieve the form's handle,
but i keep getting a MissingMethodException when i invoke
them.
Maybe i'm stuck on something very simple, but i can't get
over it.
Can anyone help? Thank you all very much in advance.
Best regards,

J.

Katie Schaeffer [MSFT]

Hi,

Purhaps you are specifying the wrong .dll for the PInvoke (usually the
cause of that exception). See
http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=502.
This is a common feature request that we're going to consider for our next
version.

Hope this helps,
-Katie

| From: "J. A. Zanetti" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "J. A. Zanetti" <[email protected]>
| Subject: hiding start icon when SIP is enabled
| Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:39:41 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hello NG.
| For the application i'm working on, i need to hide the
| start icon on every form. Maximizing the form with no
| border style, no control box and no menu works very well,
| as forms appear as full-screen, thus hiding the start icon
| and maximizing the available screen area at the same time.
| With forms that need a SIP, though, the trick doesn't
| work: SIP needs for a menu to exist on the form, and when
| a menu exist the start icon becomes visible too.
| I knew about the SHFullScreen API, and it worked fine with
| eVB, but with VB .NET i can't find the form's handle (why
| don't form have a hwnd property?). I found something about
| GetCapture or FindWindow to retrieve the form's handle,
| but i keep getting a MissingMethodException when i invoke
| them.
| Maybe i'm stuck on something very simple, but i can't get
| over it.
| Can anyone help? Thank you all very much in advance.
| Best regards,
|
| J.

Rob H

I am doing something similar and I think that I will have
the solution soon. Check out Subject: REMOVE SPEAKER AND X
FROM START BAR, from Rob H. This will describe what I am
doing. I origianlly needed the same thing you did but
after looking into it, I don't think that you can have the
Main Menu without the Start Bar so I compromized. If you
have additional thoughts, please advise. I can remember
somewhere I saw that you could have the SIP without the
Main Menu. When I programmed in EVC++ a few months ago, I
did not have a menu and the user would show the SIP by
tapping a button on the screen that said "Keyboard". This
saved a lot of space. Good luck.

Rob