Hide the all users desktop?

ayrob

I use a roaming profile to do administrative work on lab computers. We have
several labs. All of these computers have a multitude of shortcuts in the
all users desktop. When I login, all of these icons clutter the desktop and
make it cumbersome to find my own icons.

Is there a way to disable or hide the all users desktop for my
account/profile without losing my own desktop icons?

Any ideas on how to do this would be great,

Rob

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Rob,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

As far as I know, all desktop icons are based on user profile. All desktop
icons are located in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop folder. You
may use some third party desktop icon manager utilities to do this job. For
example:
Desktop Icon Manager
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=114

Iconoid
http://www.sillysot.com/

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "ayrob" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Hide the all users desktop?
| Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:25:04 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| I use a roaming profile to do administrative work on lab computers. We
have
| several labs. All of these computers have a multitude of shortcuts in the
| all users desktop. When I login, all of these icons clutter the desktop
and
| make it cumbersome to find my own icons.
|
| Is there a way to disable or hide the all users desktop for my
| account/profile without losing my own desktop icons?
|
| Any ideas on how to do this would be great,
|
| Rob

ayrob

We use the all users desktop folder to ensure that icons are available to
everyone that logs in. Anything we put in the "all users desktop" folder
show up on the desktop of everyone that logs in.

Using a third party program would require installation on all of these
systems. What I really want is a way to shut off the "all users desktop" for
one and only one user profile. I still want all of my other users to have
access to the "all users desktop". I'd like to do this by editing the one
profile instead of installing software or configuring every computer.

Maybe I need to ask this question in the group policy forum.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Rob,

Based on my knowledge, it seems there is no way to do this.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "ayrob" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Hide the all users desktop?
| Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:39:03 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| We use the all users desktop folder to ensure that icons are available to
| everyone that logs in. Anything we put in the "all users desktop" folder
| show up on the desktop of everyone that logs in.
|
| Using a third party program would require installation on all of these
| systems. What I really want is a way to shut off the "all users desktop"
for
| one and only one user profile. I still want all of my other users to have
| access to the "all users desktop". I'd like to do this by editing the one
| profile instead of installing software or configuring every computer.
|
| Maybe I need to ask this question in the group policy forum.
|

| | > Hello Rob,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > As far as I know, all desktop icons are based on user profile. All
desktop
| > icons are located in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop folder.
| > You
| > may use some third party desktop icon manager utilities to do this job.
| > For
| > example:
| > Desktop Icon Manager
| > http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=114
| >
| > Iconoid
| > http://www.sillysot.com/
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "ayrob" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Hide the all users desktop?
| > | Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:25:04 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | I use a roaming profile to do administrative work on lab computers. We
| > have
| > | several labs. All of these computers have a multitude of shortcuts in
| > the
| > | all users desktop. When I login, all of these icons clutter the
desktop
| > and
| > | make it cumbersome to find my own icons.
| > |
| > | Is there a way to disable or hide the all users desktop for my
| > | account/profile without losing my own desktop icons?
| > |
| > | Any ideas on how to do this would be great,
| > |
| > | Rob
| > |
| > |
| > |

Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I use a roaming profile to do administrative work on lab computers. We have
several labs. All of these computers have a multitude of shortcuts in the
all users desktop. When I login, all of these icons clutter the desktop and
make it cumbersome to find my own icons.

Is there a way to disable or hide the all users desktop for my
account/profile without losing my own desktop icons?

Any ideas on how to do this would be great,

Rob
As I'm using somebody else's computer with an own user profile I have about the same problem. I didn't figure out a way how to disable the displaying of "all users" items, but if you disable "align to grid" you can move the unwanted icons out of the visible area of your desktop.