Hidden Folders

Bob

When trying to view the folders in the Temporary Internet Files, using
Windows Explorer, the "content.ie5" folder remains hidden, as well as the
corresponding alfa-number folders. The index.dat file is also not viewable.
I have logged on as Administrator and I still can not view them. Would
someone tell me what the process is to "unhide" them. At one time they were
viewable. I noticed the change about two weeks ago when I was having
problems with a virus.

Thank you,

Bob

John Barnett MVP

Click Tools on the main toolbar of Windows explorer. Select Folder Option
from the drop down menu. Next click the View tab. Look for Hidden files and
folders and place a mark in the radio button next to the Show hidden files
and folders option. Finally click Apply button followed by OK to exit

Bob

John,
That's been checked since I set the computer up. The system is ignoring that
command. For some reason the Temporay Internet Files are only showing the
files in that folder (849 files). None of the other 27 f olders are showing.
Also Temporary Internet Files folder is showing "read only", and I can not
change that attribute?
Bob

Sharon F

When trying to view the folders in the Temporary Internet Files, using
Windows Explorer, the "content.ie5" folder remains hidden, as well as the
corresponding alfa-number folders. The index.dat file is also not viewable.
I have logged on as Administrator and I still can not view them. Would
someone tell me what the process is to "unhide" them. At one time they were
viewable. I noticed the change about two weeks ago when I was having
problems with a virus.

Thank you,

Bob

With some of the hidden folders, you have to double click them (usually in
the right hand pane of Explorer) before you can view their contents.

Bob

Sharon,

When you click on the Temporary Internet File folder, in the left pane,
using the left button, the only thing that shows in the right pane is the
849 files, no folders. When you click on the Temporary Internet File folder,
in the left pane, using the "right" button, the only thing that shows in the
right pane is the same 849 files. You can not double click on the TIF folder
because the first click causes a small popup to appear and the "expand"
command is not highlighted. In both cases the content ie5, and its
subfolders are not visible. Also there is no + sign next to Temporary
Internet Files folder. If I go into Dos, although the "content.ie5"
directory is hidden, I can get to it because I know the commands. However
two weeks ago I could "see", in windows, the Tempory Internet Files folder
and the sub folders as well (all of which appeared in the right panel).

Do I have some sort of "Authority" problem? I am doing the process as the
adminstrator.

Bob

Sharon F

[...]

Which Temporary Internet Files folder are you in? The one under Documents
and Settings for your account? You should be able to see this file with
your current view settings (no files or folders hidden).

Have you tried search and checking the box to include hidden folders?
Have you tried grouping the files by type so that it would be easier to
pick out a *.DAT file? Are you using a browser cleaner/helper that may be
managing the file?

Sharon F

Do I have some sort of "Authority" problem? I am doing the process as the
adminstrator.

PS: Some of the worms, viruses and adware will block access to some files
and folders to make removing them difficult. What you're seeing is not
normal using just Windows and IE. Should check the system over for any of
these unwanted visitors.

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Bob, you are looking in the wrong place. Assuming all hidden files and
folders are visible, the content.IE5 folder is located under
Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files.

Bob

Sharon,

I am logged on as Administrator. The files were originally under Documents &
Settings\etc. I have changed the location to C:\Temporary Internet Files to
simplifly access. The problem exists in either location.
If I do a search of the Temporary Internet Files all it shows is the files
in that folder. It does not show the Index.dat file that is in C:\Temporary
Internet Files, by searching either the C:\ drive or the folder. The only
way I can access this large file is through Dos. I have checked for viruses
and spyware and don't seem to have any, or at least none that I can find. I
don't have any "helper" installed.

Bob

Bob

Michael ,

I see the content.ie5 folder, 5 desktop ini files, 1 index.dat file and 4
alpha-numerica folders in Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files. All of the
folders are empty. Howerver all of my files (397 files, 17 folders) are
currently downloading to the location set up in C:\Temporary Internet Files
folder. Except for the TIF folder the files and folders are not visable
(other than through Dos viewing).

I would appreciate any advise on how I can get the files to load in the
Windows location, so I can see them?

Thanks,

Bob