Hibernation disappears from "Power Options"

Michel Merlin

My current laptop has Windows XP Pro US. As on my other PCs (all
with W2KSP4 US or FR, or previously with W98SE US), I set it up
so that pressing the Power On/Off button, or pressing the Sleep
button, or closing the lid, makes the PC hibernate.

Unfortunately on my WXP Pro laptop, I often find it in Stand By,
and opening "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options"
shows no more "Hibernation":

- in "Power Schemes > Settings for Merlin power scheme",
in the 2 columns ("Plugged in" and "Running on batteries"),
I have only 3 lines:
"Turn off monitor", "Turn off hard disks", "System standby";
- in "Advanced > Power buttons", I now have "Stand by" in the 3
lines (lid, power button, sleep button), instead of my
previous "Hibernate" setting. I still have "Hibernate" in the
3 drop-down lists, but if I select them, click "Apply" and
quit, then come back, I see they have been at once replaced
with "Stand by".
- in "RegEdit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\
PowerPolicies", I have again 2 keys named "17", "18",
but deleting them doesn't bring Hibernation back.

Anyone can help? TIA,

Paris, Mon 14 Aug 2006 19:06:45 +0200

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

[...]

Wesley Vogel

dehibernating) consistently comes when *TWO* (external) USB
modems are connected, and consistently *DOESN'T* come when
*ONLY ONE* USB modem is pluggged

Look for any devices with "Allow the computer to turn off this device to
save power" enabled.

Open Device Manager...
Start | Run | Type: devmgmt.msc | Click OK |
Click the [+] next to Network Adapters | Double click the adapter |
Power Management tab | Check: Allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power | Click OK | Close Device Manager

[[Specifies whether the operating system turns off the selected device if
that device is able to be turned off. If the device is busy doing
something, however, (servicing a call, for example), the operating system
will not shut down the device. The operating system will try to shut down
every possible device only when it is hibernating. Some devices must stay
on at all times. If you need the device to stay on at all times, do not
check this box.]]

Also look at USB Root Hub(s), listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Michel Merlin

Thanks for the info. I have indeed a device
(Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) that has this
"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
checkbox, and it is checked. However this doesn't seem really
related to the issue I was reporting. So I changed nothing
there. Thanks anyway.

Paris, Wed 16 Aug 2006 19:40:45 +0200

[...]

The reason: The problem is when you upgrade RAM to high size
(1Gb or 2Gb), XPSP2 fails to enlarge accordingly the
pagefile.sys file; attempts to hibernate fail, either before or
after, and cause Windows to temporarily remove Hibernate from
the Shut Down options - but without alterating your personal
Power Profiles. Restart restores Hibernation - thus your
original profiles.

The fix: the hotfix of KB909095, that will be added in XP-SP3,
and that meanwhile you will get for free by calling Microsoft in
your country (2.5MB). Details below.

--ooOOoo--

Google "Hibernation disappears"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Hibernation+disappears

GB makes Hibernate mode disappear...
http://forums.agilix.com/forums/4254/ShowPost.aspx
recommends the hotfix KB909095 for hibernation disappearing in
Windows XP with 1 GB RAM or more

<<<<< KB909095 excerpts BEG
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095/en-us:

SYMPTOMS
You use a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with
Service Pack 2 (SP2), Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
2005, or Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. When
you try to put the computer in hibernation, the computer
occasionally does not hibernate. When this problem occurs, you
receive an error message that is similar to the following:

Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API.

When you experience this problem, the hibernate feature is not
available on the computer until you restart the computer.

This problem typically occurs when the computer uses 1 gigabyte
(GB) or more of RAM.

CAUSE
This problem occurs because the Windows kernel power manager
cannot obtain the memory resources that are required to prepare
the computer to hibernate.

RESOLUTION
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft... This
hotfix may receive additional testing... we recommend that you
wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this
hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product
Support Services to obtain the hotfix.
KB909095 excerpts END >>>>>

Google "How to get hotfix 909095"
http://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+get+hotfix+909095

http://www.ntwizards.net/2004/10/13/hibernate
- exchanges about finding and explaining the flaw
- explains how to get the hotfix, but I would change the end:
13. Real Support Rep will e-mail the URL for the wrong version
of the hotfix, and a PWD.
14. Real Support Rep will call you a few hours later, and when
you report the version was wrong, send you the right one (2nd
email OK for me. Expect 3rd or more depending on your care at
spelling "KB909095" and your OS and language - and on your
luck).
15. Download within 7 days (2.56MB). It's a ZIP, that asks you
the PWD for unzipping. That PWD is 7 days too. Contents is
"WindowsXP-KB909095-x86-ENU.exe" (2,531,056 Bytes). Execute it.

The total process was 5 hours in my case. It is tedious, but you
have no other options. In the 1st call, you first suffer at
least 6 minutes of vocal messaging cascade; then ask "I want the
hotfix of KB909095" (don't miss the KB number, spell it very
carefully, and don't say anything else - or you enter infinite
complications). The careful spelling may make them email you an
URL to the right version as soon as in the 2nd try (if in the
1st, please report).

Paris, Wed 16 Aug 2006 19:42:50 +0200

[...]

This flaw too (Dehibernating freezes the PC when TWO usb modems
are plugged) is fixed by hotfix 909095. It must have been
another consequence of the initial bug ("when you upgrade RAM to
high size - 1Gb or 2Gb -, XPSP2 fails to enlarge accordingly the
pagefile"). FWIW,

Paris, Thu 17 Aug 2006 15:53:45 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:
Sent: Tue 15 Aug 2006 11:09:35 +0200 (09:09:35 GMT)
are plugged

....the 2nd flaw above (PC getting frozen when dehibernating)
consistently comes when *TWO* (external) USB modems are
connected, and consistently *DOESN'T* come when *ONLY ONE* USB
modem is pluggged...

Michel Merlin

Hibernation problems in XPSP2 with 1GB or more: hotfix KB909095
has just been turned into a DIRECTLY downloadable package
(2.4MB):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6A-A8D6-4627-89F7-787CD9B3852C&displaylang=en
Filename: WindowsXP-KB909095-x86-ENU.exe
(or else replacing "ENU" depending on language)
Date published: Tue 15 Aug 2006

Sources:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34631
Posted 17 Aug 2006 - 19:31
http://bink.nu/Article8087.bink
Posted 17 Aug 2006 at 7:22 PM

Paris, Fri 18 Aug 2006 07:13:50 +0200

[...]

Language-independent URL for Coolfix 909095:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9D20F96A-A8D6-4627-89F7-787CD9B3852C
should serve you the page in your preferred language
(*should*, not sure, can't test thoroughly)
alternative anyway if the previous one (unnecessarily
complicated) failed.

Paris, Fri 18 Aug 2006 12:58:00 +0200