Help with this form Please

Ren

Hi i have a database in access 2002 for one of my classes for keeping thier
grades in I have it so that it adds the scores fore each student's work and
then base on that give a level of achievement

eg

task score (out of )
max score
student x 1 5
9
2 10
20

etc

it then gives a total grade and a level of achievement

eg ... 15/29
satisfactory

what i cant seem to get is the separate total for each task performed in
semester 1 and
semester 2

eg(note the number grid below is in a subform)

task semester score (out
f ) max score
student x 1 1 5
9
2 1 10
20
3 2 5
10
4 2 6
25
i would like it to give the following

total for semester 1 = 15 / 29 level = satisfactory
total for semester 2 = 11 / 35 level = low

I have tried
in the control source of ([score]) the following
=sum([score])where([semester])=1
but this doesnt work so i tried
IIf([semester])=1,sum([score])
but alas no luck

can anyone please help
cheers

Wayne Gillespie

[...]

Use the DSum function (domain sum)

total for semester 1 =
DSum("Score","MyTable","[Semester]=1")/DSum("Students","MyTable","[Semester]=1")

total for semester 1 =
DSum("Score","MyTable","[Semester]=2")/(DSum("Students","MyTable","[Semester]=2")

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia

Ren

Wayne

thanks heaps

but i still am get it wrong
in the database i have a form with a subform
the form runs from a query (select student)to get each student
the subform runs from a table (tbl_results) to get all that student's tasks
and results
the form / subform linked by field called student id
the subform get the fields :
student id(hidden) task /alphascore/alphamaxscore/semester
in the footer of subform i have 3 txtboxes
alphascore / alphapercent / loa(level of achievement)

I put this code in the alphascore control source
DSum("alphascore","tbl_results","[Semester]=1")/DSum("Students","tbl_results
","[Semester]=1")
I could not figure out what to put in students i put stud id but no luck

could u help again

sorry but this would really save heaps of work

cheers

Wayne Gillespie said:
[...]

In your original example, how did your get the figures for the first column "max
score student x"? It is this number we are trying to return with the 2nd DSum
statement. If this value comes from a query instead of a table change the 2nd
Dsum to -
DSum("NameOfFieldInQuery","QueryName","[Semester]=1")

If not you will need to explain how you currently get this value.

Wayne Gillespie said:
[...]

Hey
Thanks again

The max score (alphamaxscore) is gained from tbl_results which is displayed
in the subform
all results,task name and the maxscore(eg task marked out of /25) are all
displayed in subform which has
a record source of tbl_results.
Student ID and student name are displayed in main form which has a record
source of query_selectstudent.
in subform footer i have alphascore has control source of sum([alphascore])
alphapercent has control source of
sum([alphascore])/96*100)
(96is total of alpha maxscores tallied by me)
loa(level of achievement) has a
function as its control source

thanks again sorry to be a pain
cheers

Wayne Gillespie said:
[...]

DSum("alphascore","tbl_results","[Semester]=1")/DSum("Student id","tbl_results","[Semester]=1")

Wayne Gillespie said:
[...]

i dont understand what max score has to do with it

i need to add a students scores whenever the semester box has a 1 in it and
put it in the score box

as in sum ([alphascore]) where [semester] = 1

Wayne Gillespie said:
[...]

I am sure the solution is simple, but to be honest I am having a hard time
visuallising your setup. If you would like me to take a look at it you can email
me a zipped copy of your db and I will try to help.

Wayne

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia

Ren

Wayne
that would be great but your address keeps bouncing back with no such addy

cheers
Damien
Wayne Gillespie said:
Wayne
i dont understand what max score has to do with it

i need to add a students scores whenever the semester box has a 1 in it and
put it in the score box

as in sum ([alphascore]) where [semester] = 1

Ren

I am sure the solution is simple, but to be honest I am having a hard time
visuallising your setup. If you would like me to take a look at it you can email
me a zipped copy of your db and I will try to help.

Wayne

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia

Wayne Gillespie

Wayne
that would be great but your address keeps bouncing back with no such addy

cheers
Damien
"Wayne Gillespie" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Did you remove the NO and the SPAM from the email address?

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia