help with my code please. (Error: Object doesn't support this property or method)

funkymonkUK

HI

i got a piece of code that runs from excel it opens a word document
updates parts of the document then breaks the links between Word and
Excel and then saves it.

I now want to add a table of contents page to the word document. I have
set up the page that I what it to do. I recorded the code and got the
following.
Sub InsertTOC()

' There is a bookmark called "TOC" this line goes to this part of the
document

Selection.Goto What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="TOC"
With ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
..DefaultSorting = wdSortByName
..ShowHidden = False
End With
'Then it move to the right of it and then moves down a couple of lines
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphLeft
' Insert fields (TOC) onto the page
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:=
_
"TOC ", PreserveFormatting:=True
End Sub

I copied the code and put it into my Excel VBA and ran it it comes with
Object doesn't support this property or method and highlights the first
line.

any ideas to get this to word?

RB Smissaert

As you are doing wdGoToBookmark etc. I take it you doing this with
automation
and a reference to Word.
In your code thought I don't see any automation code such as
Dim oWord as Word.Application etc.
Not sure what you are trying to do.

RBS

"funkymonkUK" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

funkymonkUK

yes i want this automated.

Sorry in my main sub I got the following

Option Explicit

Sub runReports()
Dim wrdapp As Word.Application
Dim wrddoc As Word.Document
Dim rng As Word.Range
Dim cel As Object
Dim sheet As Worksheet
Dim counter As Integer
Dim starting As String

' code to open up word let the document update then break the links
' the next part opens the headers and footers in the word document and
' breaks the links. Read on below to see the DIM's
doHeadFoot

' then my code to insert Table of contents which I have already posted

insertTOC
End sub

Sub doHeadFoot()
Dim oField As Field
Dim oSection As Section
Dim oHeader As HeaderFooter
Dim oFooter As HeaderFooter

Do i have to declare word again as my hearder and footer code works
100%?

RB Smissaert

I don't think you will have to declare the Word application again, but you
must do something like:

with wrddoc
..Selection .Goto What

etc. where wrddoc has to be the particular Word document.

As the way it is now Selection applies to Excel.

RBS

"funkymonkUK" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...