Help with ISNUMBER formula

A

Andrew Wright

Hi all.
I have a large spreadsheet of data, and I want to search a range of cells for instances of certain text words. If that word is found I want the formula to add a lower case b to the column the formula is in. The following formula =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("volunteer",R73)),"b","") works fine. It searchesfor the word volunteer and adds the letter b as I want. However it only searches the specified cell (in this case R73). Is it possible to append thisformula to search a range of cells such as R72:AK72? I tried adding this to the formula but no luck.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Andrew

C

Claus Busch

Hi Andrew,

Am Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:37:11 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Andrew Wright:
I have a large spreadsheet of data, and I want to search a range of cells for instances of certain text words. If that word is found I want the formula to add a lower case b to the column the formula is in. The following formula =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("volunteer",R73)),"b","") works fine. It searches for the word volunteer and adds the letter b as I want. However it only searches the specified cell (in this case R73). Is it possible to append this formula to search a range of cells such as R72:AK72? I tried adding this to the formula but no luck.

write the formula
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("volunteer",R72)),"b","")
in column R and drag it right to AK

Regards
Claus B.

A

Andrew Wright

Hi all. I have a large spreadsheet of data, and I want to search a range of cells for instances of certain text words. If that word is found I want the formula to add a lower case b to the column the formula is in. The following formula =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("volunteer",R73)),"b","") works fine. It searches for the word volunteer and adds the letter b as I want. However it only searches the specified cell (in this case R73). Is it possible to append this formula to search a range of cells such as R72:AK72? I tried adding this to the formula but no luck. Any help gratefully received. Thanks Andrew

Hi Claus.
I tried the formula and dragged as yousuggested but unfortunately it didnt work. All that happened was that it appended the formula to the following. =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("volunteer",E1:AF1)),"b","") and returned no results.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Andrew

Ask a Question