help with front panel connectors

Reaction score
Hello,
I am doing my first build - have a PC chips M811U board and a Deluxworld M7612 BMW case. I would like some help on the front panel audio connectors. The mobo has this setup:

1 AUD_MIC
2 AUD_GND
3 AUD_MIC_BIAS
4 AUD_VCC
5 AUD_FPOUT_R
6 AUD_RET_R
7 NC
8 KEY
9 AUD_FPOUT_
L 10 AUD_RET_L

There were jumpers on 5&6 and 9&10 but I took these off assuming I would need to in order to connect the wires.

I have a yellow wire with 2 MIC IN connectors,
a green wire with 2 EAR L connectors,
a white wire with 2 EAR R connectors and 2 separate black GND connectors. I am kind of guessing where they go but if anyone could tell me straight off, I would appreciate it - It's hard work getting them in and out!

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your motherboard manual should tell you where & how to do this ... that is assuming the case cables are compatable with your MB.

That may not be so.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, let's have an educated guess:

2 MIC IN connectors got to pins 1 & 2 - AUD_MIC & AUD_GRND. If there's a coloured wire paired with a black or white wire, the coloured wire will go to PIN 1. That should enable you to plug a microphone in the front audio panel socket.

The green and white cables, EAR L & EAR R, I'm guessing are line out for a headphone socket. Again, the two coloured wires will be the L & R 'hot' channels, the other two wires, which should be the same colour, will be the ground side of the audio signal and will be common.

I'm not sure about this, but I think they go to Pins 5 & 6 and 9 & 10. The 'hot' coloured wires going to pins 5 & 9. What I'm puzzled about are pins 6 & 10, they could be the ground connections for the headphone out or they could in fact be left and right channels for a line in.

If they are line in, the headphones (or line out to an external amp or tape deck recorder etc) won't work. Instead, the two 'ground' cables for the headphones signal will have to be connected to Pin 2, AUD_GND, which will be a common ground for all audio signals, both in and out.

Sorry I can't be more positive, best I can do without being privvy to mobo and case manuals.

Reaction score
Simmilar Problem, Plz hlp!

HI, I'm having the same problem but a little different.

With my audio:

I'm using the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe

the manual has pin names of

MIC2
MICPWR
Line Out_R
NC
Line Out_L
AGND
+5VA
BLINE_OUT_R
BLINE_OUT_L

and the names on the conectors
MIC DATA
MIC VCC
GND
EAR L (BLACK COLOR CABLE)
EAR L (WHITE COLOR CABLE)
EAR R (BLACK COLOR CABLE)
EAR R (RED COLOR CABLE)

Basically, they have diff names and i have two EAR L cables and two EAR R cables and i dont know where to stick them, can somebody please help me match them up?? I can figure out the MIC cables and the ground but as far as the two EAR R/L cables, i have no idea. I'm not sure if color has any significance but thats the only diff i could find between the two.

Thankyou so much for your time and I would really appreciate your help,

Brian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
At a guess:

EAR L (White) Goes to Line Out L
EAR R (Red) Goes to Line Out R
Both Black EAR connectors go to AGND

If there's no way to connect both black cables, try just one as that's Grnd and is commoned.

That should enable your front headphone socket.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BrianDarzi said:
then what is the diff between Line out and B line out? They dont have to be filled?

Dunno and no.

At a guess I'd say they were a second line out.

Your manual may tell you.

Reaction score
sigh, well thank you verry much, you were very helpfull. Would it damage my motherboard in any way if I placed one of those audo connectors in the wrong place?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BrianDarzi said:
sigh, well thank you verry much, you were very helpfull. Would it damage my motherboard in any way if I placed one of those audo connectors in the wrong place?

No, not at all, just try it, play a music file and plug your headphones in.

The only pin out that may cause damage if wrongly connected is +5VA.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BrianDarzi said:
okay so after removing the jumpers, the pins not being used will be okay?

Should be, just try it.

Your manual will tell where the jumpers are fitted should the removal of one or more interfere with any other sound settings.

In case you have to replace one or more. But that's unlikely.

Ask a Question