Help with a formula

wrinkle35

I want to create a formula that will automatically increase a number
value by one each time new information is entered.
For example I have an invoice on sheet 1(cell A1 is the invoice #)
I would like that number to increase each time the template invoice is
opened.

Max

3 possible options?

1. Check out the excel template INVOICE.XLT,
usually found at path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Spreadsheet
Solutions\INVOICE.XLT

This template has the option to generate unique sequential numbers.

2. Try : http://tinyurl.com/sijt

where MVP Leo Heuser provides 2 subs

3. A non-macro way suggested by MVP Norman Harker previously (below):
From: Norman Harker ([email protected])
Subject: Re: invoice number macro
View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
Date: 2001-08-21 04:52:34 PST

Hi Ruud!

For any given number of invoices the possibility of non-unique numbers being
generated using random numbers increases with the number of invoices.

I would suggest a non-random method:

=INT(NOW()*1000000)
returns 37124908872

This returns a number that will be unique as long as no-one generates
another invoice within 1/100th of a second (assuming their computer clock is
in synchronization with yours).

You could say that it has an advantage in that with the invoice number you
can determine the date and time of issue.

hth