Help: very strange behaviour in PPT spell-check

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been grappling with a strange problem for months now, and so far have found no mention of it in either the MS KBases, various forum threads, FAQs, etc.

Problem:
When I spell check Spanish words in PPT, I am unable to add words to the custom dictionary. If right click on a misspelt word, the "Add to dictionary" option is simply not there, and if I open the spell checker window, the "Add" button is greyed out.

Some relevant info you should know:
· Apart from this problem of not being able to add words, the Spanish spell checker works fine (I get alternative suggestions, I can change and ignore words, etc.)
· This does not happen when spell-checking other languages in PPT, either using the Windows default (UK English) or other foreign languages (such as Italian), i.e. I can add words and select which dictionary to add them to, so I know that Powerpoint can 'see' all the custom dictionaries I have when it wants to. (including the Spanish dictionaries!)
· The Spanish spell checker works fine in Word 2003. I have several custom dictionaries set up for each language I use, and for Spanish I have a traditional and a modern sort dictionary. I can add words without a problem to either of these dictionaries when in word.
· I'm using PPT 2003 SP1 with Windows XP SP2, using UK English as the default language.
· This problem was not there from the start. I cannot place when it actually started. It may have coincided with the installation of XP SP2, but I'm not sure.
· I've run a repair on Powerpoint and it did not solve the problem
· I've copied the m*es.DLL files from another computer and it did not solve the problem

I've run out of ideas. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance,

Roberto

Ask a Question