Subject: Help!!! Validation Rule
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:30:54 GMT
From: Mike Farmer <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms

I still cannot locate where the "bad" data is coming from. Is there some
"code" I can use to direct me to the specific field that is causing the
problem?

Regards,

Mike

Mike

Most likely it is not one of the fields you have data in. It is probably
one of the other fields. Check the "Required", "Allow zero length", and
"Indexed" properties of the other fields. If "Required" is yes it means you
can't have a blank in that field. Also true if "Allow zero length" is no.
If "Indexed" is yes (no duplicates) you can't have 2 records with the same
data. A blank would count as data so you can't have 2 records with a blank
in that field.

Kelvin

John Vinson

The Error was coming from a "Combo Box" that brought up a list of
choices. Much of the data in the database had been "imported" from a
PARADOX file. If the "imported" data was not in the "Combo Box" list it
resulted in an error. I added the necessary data to the table that made
up the list and the problem went away. Even a "blind" squirrel finds an
acorn once in a while.

And this is yet one more example of why putting Combo Boxes in tables
is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. This Microsoft misfeature has wasted evidently
several days of your time.

There is NOTHING that a Lookup Field in a table does for you that you
can't do equally easily another way - except let you enter data more
easily in table datasheet view; but table datasheet view should never
be used for a user interface in any case, so the net value of the
Lookup is (imho) markedly negative.

Mike Farmer

I may be missing something here, but the "Combo Box" was in the "Form".
Don't understand??

regards,

Mike

John Vinson

I may be missing something here, but the "Combo Box" was in the "Form".
Don't understand??

Well, it's clearly me who didn't understand - apologies for the rant!

I don't know why a combo box on a Form would give a validation rule
violation, however; the Lookup Wizard creates a (hidden) relationship
between your table and the lookup table when you invoke it in table
design, but to my knowledge creating a combo box on a Form does not do
so. Could this have been a lookup field at some point in the past?

Mike Farmer

The field started out as a text box. Once I found a solution to my
autolookup problem, I changed it to a combo box that brought up a list
of names.

regards,

Mike